Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dh may have mandatory jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2macht4 View Post
I have to agree with the other moms. I am by no means saying your dh is lying, but I think hes not giving a full story, because there is no check here for jail time option. Even if the cop screwed up and gave him false charges I do not see how there would be mandatory jail time without a trial. I think dh needs to be straight up honest and you need a lawyer. It will be on his recoird and could affect things like future employment. Even if just a public defender you need representation.
This. Hope you get it all cleared up.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #22
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got pulled over for expired registration once. The only way I would have done jail time was if I failed to pay the fine. We had a jerk cop in our town ( seriously people had bumper stickers made to say they got caught by this guy) and he gave me 6 tickets that day. Failure to change address on my registration and failure to change address at DMV to name a few. The fines were $600 after being dropped down to parking violations at court. I didn't have $600 and asked what would happen if I couldn't pay and they said I would go to jail for that. I borrowed and paid. But jail as an option on the ticket? Never heard of that. Honestly who would pick jail???

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats
I would contact my local public defenders office on Monday. Something seems fishy.
Yes.

I hope this is resolved!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Did he actually go to court in front of the judge or did he just go pay his fine?
If he just paid his fine when he had to go to court, they can issue a warrant. If that is the case, I would get a lawyer and explain to the judge what happened.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sure I am going to sound like a big fat jerk BUT this needs to be said. Your dh is not being honest with you. I bet it has something to do with drugs or the lying,http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1489802. None of this makes sense.That is not to say that I don't think there bad cops /crooked judges or that innocent people don't go to jail. But in this case if the ticket was written incorrectly the judge could have just thrown in out. The judge isn't going to put it in the court records that the cop made a mistake that would send an innocent man to jail for 2 weeks ,so he is going to give him a chance to fix it instead of just voiding the ticket. Mama PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS,there is way more to this story and you need to figure out what it is. Your dh going to jail is a HUGE deal ,even a few days can effect him but if he is sentenced to two weeks that can be very serious. Depending on what he was sentenced for it could effect his ability to keep and find new employment and his eligibility for certain assistance/job training programs. Really without knowing what he is being sentenced for the possibilities could be endless. It just really concerns me that you can say it wouldn't be a huge deal and that you are so willing to believe dh when it just doesn't make sense. If my dh came home and announced he had to spend 10 minutes in jail and have a record because a cop checked the wrong box ,I sure as heck wouldn't be posting an annoyed vent on here about it. I would be knocking on doors and talking to everyone who would listen and screaming at those who wouldn't. You need to protect you and the baby and find out what is going on,if it is drugs and he will be on probation after that ,it can effect your life greatly. Until you know what is going on it is just impossible to guess. Please figure this out and after you know ,you need to decide if this is someone that you can trust ever again. Honestly there are very few things that could ever make me leave my dh but lying to me about such serious things would be a very serious challenge to our marriage.
ETA: I just saw he has a medical card for the pot ,unless maybe he had more with him than allowed for personal use or something else. I don't know it really doesn't change anything something isn't right and you need to know what is going on.

Last edited by booty hunter; 05-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
PailPowder
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
ETA: I just saw he has a medical card for the pot ,unless maybe he had more with him than allowed for personal use or something else. I don't know it really doesn't change anything something isn't right and you need to know what is going on.
I don't think the card would matter if he was caught driving. A DUI could carry some jail time.

ETA Nevermind OP. Forgot you said you were there when it happened.

Last edited by PailPowder; 05-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
PailPowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely get a lawyer. I am pretty confident there is much more to this story. I've been a foster parent for 4 years, and people don't go to jail for minor things. DS's father's girlfriend wrecked with a suspended license, hurting people, and she didn't go to jail. She just had to pay a $300 fine, and she had a previous record. Even when DS's dad raped a child, he only served 2 years. He might get some fees, but he won't go to jail unless there are other things he isn't telling you.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Makes no sense. You don't just get mandatory jail time, the judge would decide that. Tickets aren't like that either. Something is very off, someone isn't telling the truth
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
PailPowder
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found this when I Googled "2 weeks mandatory jail time in NM". Are you sure it wasn't a DUI/DWI? Did he get out of the car and talk to the cop out of your hearing range? Maybe he refused a breathalyzer or field sobriety b/c you were there?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc...d-consequences

It just doesn't make sense that he would go to jail for a registration expiration. Mine was dropped to parking on the pavement.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with bdhutier. Something is way off. My dh got a ticket and the cop wrote the wrong date. We mailed in the fine and got the check returned to us and the ticket dismissed bc of the date. They don't just treat tickets that are wrong,like eh whatever

Sent from my phone using DS Forum