Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Softcup vs Diva Cup

I tried the Instead Softcups this cycle and really liked them. I used them waaaaay back in the day when they first came out and just finally got around to trying them again. I was price shopping online and saw that they offer single-use cups in boxes of 14, then a box of 2 that can be re-used for the whole cycle. The reusable ones look just like the ones from 13 years ago, where the single use ones have much thinner plastic in the cup.

Anywho, thinking about getting the reusable ones led me to looking at the Diva cup and similar cups. The Divas are shaped deeper and thinner, versus the SoftCups that are wider and shallower. My only complaint about the SoftCups is that the wide ring seems to put pressure on the pubic bone and causes some achiness.

Has anyone tried both, and which one did you like?

Advertisement

CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

I have a diva and I'm not liking it as much after this baby. I always have some leakage when before I had my youngest I didn't.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ive been using a diva since 06 and love it. I tried instead cups and couldn't get them to work for me.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Softcup vs Diva Cup

I used insteads a long time ago and did not like them, I could never use them right. I can't speak to comfort of one vs the other as I don't remember Insteads being uncomfortable (it has been a very long time as in 15+ years). I don't like Diva very well, it doesn't suit my body shape. However I use both Fluercup and Meluna and like them quite well. They are both shorter and wider cups that hold more which is important for me because I have a heavy flow and a low cervix. Some cups are softer (Meluna has a softer, classic and more rigid version if I remember correctly, Fleurcup just happens to be a softer silicone than diva) and some have rigid bands at the top that make them less comfortable for some people.

I like this site http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/c...y/comparisons/ for comparing menstrual cups. I think she may even talk about soft cups.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've been reading more and I think the reusable SoftCups may be my best bet. The disposable ones worked great this cycle, other than minor discomfort. I like that the cup is shallow and allows for DTD. So far, none of the other reusable cups can be used like that.

I read one blog where the mama reused the disposable ones. It says they're made of the same material?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Softcup vs Diva Cup

The Softcup was too wide to be comfortable for me, and the shallowness proved to be messy.
I like the Diva well enough. Much better than tampons
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

You dtd with the instead? Huh. I want to try some. I have a lunette and it slips out with too much activity. I do also of squatting at work.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like that the instead cup goes over your cervix instead of just sitting in your vagina. Also, the reusable one is a lot better quality. The flexible part is more of like a thin glove material. Way easier to not puncture.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun View Post
The Softcup was too wide to be comfortable for me, and the shallowness proved to be messy.
I like the Diva well enough. Much better than tampons
I did have some splashback :Yuck: but figured out to put a few sheets of toilet paper between my fingers and the cup during removal. Made it much cleaner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
You dtd with the instead? Huh. I want to try some. I have a lunette and it slips out with too much activity. I do also of squatting at work.
It's very similar in shape to a diaphragm. It doesn't extend down into the vagina at all so there's nothing to get in the way. Their website has a sample pack of 2 disposable ones for $2.50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
I like that the instead cup goes over your cervix instead of just sitting in your vagina. Also, the reusable one is a lot better quality. The flexible part is more of like a thin glove material. Way easier to not puncture.
When they first came out in maybe 1997 or 1998, the flexible part was really thick. I remember thinking then that you could probably reuse it. That brings up a funny memory, actually: my older brother was so fascinated when the sample came in the mail that he started to follow me into the bathroom. I turned around really quick and he almost ran into me, then tried to play it off. LOL
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll

When they first came out in maybe 1997 or 1998, the flexible part was really thick. I remember thinking then that you could probably reuse it. That brings up a funny memory, actually: my older brother was so fascinated when the sample came in the mail that he started to follow me into the bathroom. I turned around really quick and he almost ran into me, then tried to play it off. LOL
That is hilarious! Hahah!

I hate the single use kind. They feel like food service gloves!!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote