Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Swimming costume for toddler

We're having a holiday on the seaside this summer - what sort of swimming costume and accoutrements would you recommend for my small 2 year old? She's never been swimming before (I had big ambitions of getting her baby swimming lessons but...)

Should I get her one of those swimming costume things with the float pockets inside them? Or one of those t-shirty things that are UV protective? Does the UV protection wear off - can I buy one at the thrift shop? Is a life jacket too much? Water wings? Just a swim diaper?

I'm obviously going to watch her like a hawk, but I'm terrified of getting distracted, and the villa my family's staying at has a pool... Her drowning is my worst nightmare, I'm giving myself a panic attack right now just thinking about it. But I don't want her to be miserable and uncomfortable to ease my neuroses. Are they neuroses?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Swimming costume for toddler

I love the speedo vests for pool swimming. It is not a life jacket but look like one. They are slimmer and have a better fit for around the pool. Stay away from water wings they really are not safe. A child can easily drown with water wings on, the wings slip down their arms and then their head can go underwater with their arms above them.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The floating suits made my daughter miserable.
I would go with a life jacket. The UV shirts are great and you can wear them even for long days in the park so are worth it, however sunscreen and/or a light cotton shirt would offer the same protection.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
I love the speedo vests for pool swimming. It is not a life jacket but look like one. They are slimmer and have a better fit for around the pool. Stay away from water wings they really are not safe. A child can easily drown with water wings on, the wings slip down their arms and then their head can go underwater with their arms above them.
Omg, those look perfect! Are they comfy, do you know?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Swimsuits with a rash guard and a puddle jummper
Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My kids wore them all the time I just made sure I put a rash guard shirt on them to keep it from rubbing under their arms.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD was in pools a lot the last couple summers. We did a lifejaclet the first year, then last summer we did the thing that's arm rings attached to a belt thing that goes around the chest, all made of the lifejacket stuff. I can't remember what they're called, but you can get them@ TRU & I think it's great.

Otherwise, rashguard & bottoms of your choice/swim diaper , a hat for when not swimming, a wearable towel b/c it's the only thing DD will wear over her suit, & plenty of sunscreen.

And I love that you call it a costume
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

2 suggestions dependent on how you think she will do in the water....

The swimways baby spring float is awesome. We used it all last summer (about 18-24months) and compared to other 'similar' floats, it is by far the best. I wish I bought one sooner! If she has very little water experience, this may be perfect.

Next is the puddlejumper. My now 2 1/2 yr old is using this based on my sis's rec and it is also really nice. Sort of life vest and water wings? It allows for a lot of movement. It took him a few minutes to figure it out because they need to lean forward or they'll be on their back, but within 10 minutes he was excitedly proclaiming "I'm swimming!".

My sis's youngest is same age as yours and is keeping her in the float for now.

For clothing - I like the sets that include the tops. If it's not really hot, and they get wet then are out of water (like in the float which will sit them higher), they will get cold so for a girl, some other top may come in handy as well.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetc View Post
Next is the puddlejumper. My now 2 1/2 yr old is using this based on my sis's rec and it is also really nice. Sort of life vest and water wings? It allows for a lot of movement. It took him a few minutes to figure it out because they need to lean forward or they'll be on their back, but within 10 minutes he was excitedly proclaiming "I'm swimming!".
That's what it's called...we have a Puddle Jumper for DD. Your DD might not be big enough yet, b/c I think they all start at 30lbs, & DD was just 30 lbs when she started using it last summer & was a little over 2yrs, but if she is big enough, I really recommend them. If she's not, an infant life jacket is probably the safest option, especially if you're nervous anyway (we were, too--babysitters with pools).
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

My son loved this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 at 2. This year we got a puddle jumper. He even jumped off the diving board wearing the tube one.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote