Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about Skylander for Wii

All DS's little friends have Skylander for Wii. I went to Target to get him one and was overwhelmed. How do you know which guys go buy? Are some better than others? Can you play with just the guys that come in the starter pack, or do you need to buy the extras?

School me on Skylander please!

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Wendylady
Registered Users

Re: Tell me about Skylander for Wii

You start with a starter pack(look for the one that is Wii specific) and I'd go for the Skylander's Giants, it's the newer game and is compatible with all the figurines. You can beat the game with only the ones in the starter pack but there are some extra areas you won't be able to access without other characters. Also the kids(and maybe you ) will end up wanting more characters. The starter packs are console specific but the characters aren't so you can buy any characters without worrying about whether you can use them with the wii.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
In order to get started, you'll need buy the starter pack. Make sure you get the one that corresponds with your system, as there is a starter pack for each system. After that the figures can be used for any system. I would suggest getting Giants, vs the Spyro's adventure set, as it's newer, and all the current ones work with it.

You only need the starter pack to play, but there are some areas that they won't be able to get into. To see every area, you'll need at least one giant which it comes with, and one of each of the eight elements.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh lordy......I need to get my 7 and 9 year old to type this one out as they know 1000% more than me!!!

So you get the game, the portal and a few guys. You can play a bit from there. But I gather you need more guys to unlock other parts of the game. I don't think you need ALL the guys but you do need a decent amount to play.

We have about 30 at this point. Most of those were gifts, xmas, easter, bdays. The triple packs are a better value. I bet you could buy some used on ebay at this point. It is obviously a big money maker but for us it wasn't a big deal as they don't get an allowance...so to pick up a guy every few weeks, they were thrilled. They are kinda over it by now though and don't play as much. So we bought lots in the beginning but then eased off as they had enough to play. Once in awhile they would say....oh we need someone from such an such a world(I think there is water world, fire, dark and more...)

I can ask the kids tomorrow if you have specific questions.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh...and learned this AFTER we opened all of ours, but if you are a collector you can actually keep them in the box and still use the guys on the portal....you know how in Target you can put it on the portal and see the guy pop up, same at home. We don't collect, but I'm sure some people do this.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
In order to get started, you'll need buy the starter pack. Make sure you get the one that corresponds with your system, as there is a starter pack for each system. After that the figures can be used for any system. I would suggest getting Giants, vs the Spyro's adventure set, as it's newer, and all the current ones work with it.

You only need the starter pack to play, but there are some areas that they won't be able to get into. To see every area, you'll need at least one giant which it comes with, and one of each of the eight elements.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Ooh double post monster got me...

We have about 60 of them, but we all play. We collected all of them from the first game, all of the new small figures that weren't in the original, all the giants but one that we're still looking for, and some repeats that suited our fancy.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Mommy of 2girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My four year old daughter is being for this game!!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
You've gotten good advice. It's a fun game. We have it on xbox360 and my 5, 7, and 10 years olds play it together and alone and love it!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
photocat
Registered Users

Oh boy, my eldest son just got skylanders giants for his birthday, along with some extra characters and now both my boys are ALL ABOUT freaking skylanders lol.

Oh, and minecraft still too

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote