Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did I have back labor?

Seems like a silly question but humor me.

I had a homebirth and my contractions were intense drop-to-the-floor contractions from 3 cm onwards. I don't really remember what they felt like now but I just remember how intense they were (lovely postpartum amnesia). I spent most of my labor on my hands and knees and made my husband squeeze my hips with every contraction. I also used a TENS unit with electrodes applied to my back for 12 hours and burnt through two 9 volt batteries. I also have a fractured vertebra that has permanently moved out of position due to the fracture just as a background of my health.

I ran into my hypnobabies instructor at a natural childbirth event and when we discussed my labor I mentioned that once I hit 3 cm I was unable to do hypnosis and needed the above mentioned things. She said, "Oh so you had back labor?" and I went, "Did I?"

So does it sound like I had back labor?

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Um.. Back labor is something you never forget.

It's like your back is in a vice. It's the most intense of all labors and there is usually no escaping the pain. Usually you have a posterior baby. It's an agony I would love to forget. I wanted to puke, and was close to passing out. The pain was indescribable, almost. Back breaking? Pressure on my rectum that made my head spin.

So my answer would be. No. You know back labor and never forget it. Ime.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Did I have back labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Um.. Back labor is something you never forget.

It's like your back is in a vice. It's the most intense of all labors and there is usually no escaping the pain. Usually you have a posterior baby. It's an agony I would love to forget. I wanted to puke, and was close to passing out. The pain was indescribable, almost. Back breaking? Pressure on my rectum that made my head spin.

So my answer would be. No. You know back labor and never forget it. Ime.
Thanks for your input. DD was my only labor so I had nothing to compare it to. I know my DD was LOA although my midwife said she was positioned slightly diagonal at the beginning of my labor.

I figured I would know if I had back labor but then my instructor said that all of the things I needed were typically things that someone in back labor would use for relief.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone

Thanks for your input. DD was my only labor so I had nothing to compare it to. I know my DD was LOA although my midwife said she was positioned slightly diagonal at the beginning of my labor.

I figured I would know if I had back labor but then my instructor said that all of the things I needed were typically things that someone in back labor would use for relief.
It's just my experience. Curious what others would say...
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wont say you didnt, but you definitely know back labor. The pain is inescapable.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun View Post
I wont say you didnt, but you definitely know back labor. The pain is inescapable.
This. It's impossible for us to say for sure since it was your experience, but I do agree that it's like nothing you've ever experienced. I had it with my first, and all I can say is thank goodness it was only a 6 hour labor because I might have died (or thought I would) if it had gone on much longer.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PPs, it's hard to say for sure but you might have. If you have another baby with normal labor you'll know the difference.

I had back labor with my DS1, and it was HORRIBLE. I was in labor for a couple days, and so tired; the back labor didn't really kick in until the last 6 hours or so, but it was really really awful. I was doing natural childbirth via the Bradley Method, but it was pretty much impossible to relax through the pain. I think I did the last 2-3 hours on my hands and knees, and I delivered sort of on my knees but my hands gripping the top of the hospital bed (the head was in a raised position) and I was so exhausted from that position that I had a hard time picking up my son the first day. He was born posterior.

And, after all that, being in such terrible pain and being exhausted, my DH invited all his family over to the hospital right away and they took a miserable picture of me and DH, me all tired and sore, with DS1 sort of laying on me because I was too tired to hold him. Okay, sorry for the digression, I am still upset about having all those visitors so quickly without having a decent chance to recover.

He is a challenging child now, at age 8 1/2, and sometimes I think about L&D with him and I just have to laugh b/c it must have been a sign or something

DS2 was a normal labor. It was super easy. 12 hours, and they went by fast. I wasn't exhausted, I could totally relax through the contractions just like I had learned in Bradley. After DS2 was born I felt great. I couldn't believe how much I had suffered with the back labor of DS1, and I couldn't believe that people are scared of normal labor pain LOL!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Back labor is usually caused by posterior or face presenting babies. Which you would likely know.

I have back labor 6 times. (6 out of 7 were posterior).

Some women that have menstrual cramps in their back have back labor more often than women that dont experience cramps there.

It is a pain that isnt likely forgotton quickly but since pain is so hard to judge person to person its not always easy to tell.

For my 2 natural back labors I seriously thought I was dying. It was the worst pain Ive ever had. My only baby that wasnt posterior (my first) was so easy, I hardly even made a sound.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Were the contractions all in your back? I had back labor with my first and it felt like someone was taking my lower spine and just twisting it into knots with a wrench. Even between contractions, the pain never went away for one second. It was horribly painful and I thought I was going to die a number of times (and that my "a$$ was breaking in two"... which the tailbone did). I never felt a contx in my front... just all in the back. shiver.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

back labor- contractions all felt in your back
reg. labor- contractions felt through your stomach like bh contractions.
very easy to know which one you had.