Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did I have back labor?

all of mine have been back- although last 2 started out with front cntrx which i had never felt before and was like "oh is that a contraction" lol. quickly turned to the real deal back labor though.

http://americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/backlabor.html
never had any complications w/ mine and stood up/walked whole time w/ 3 except for 1st was in a hossy and strapped to monitor the last hard 7 hours(spent 19 at home walking,squatting,massaging my own back lol) Don't know how I made it through, that was torture lol. Used chiro the last time which did make for a waay faster labor compared to my other 3 but still back labor.

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyshanti; 05-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone, I am going with that I probably didn't have back labor. In the end it doesn't really matter but I was just a bit shocked when the instructor said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
back labor- contractions all felt in your back
reg. labor- contractions felt through your stomach like bh contractions.
very easy to know which one you had.
Umm... I don't think it's that simple honestly. I remember that my early contractions felt like menstrual cramps but then I didn't feel them in my stomach at all. I can't describe the contractions but I can guarantee they weren't in my abdomen. I cant be the only woman unable to describe her labor pains (but then again i described my sciatica as "growing pains" from the age of 10-22. so maybe i am just useless at describing pain) I kind of wonder if the Tens unit muddled it up for me. I had that sucker on high and constant and it was buzzing for 12 hours straight.

I guess I'll never really know unless my next labor is substantially different.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

But I can say that my pain was no where near as bad as some of you described. I wasn't able to walk or lay on my back (i was able to walk a few feet but only in dire circumstances like having to pee.) and I actually stayed on my hands and knees until my hands and lower legs turned purple and my midwife and DH kept saying "so why don't we try another position?" And I kept refusing. but I didn't feel like my spine was being twisted, I think I would remember a sensation like that..
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
deely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti
I don't think it's always that simple. I didn't have back labor, but I didn't have any contractions in my belly either. The only way I can describe it is that it was all in my hips and it felt like my hip bones were being ground into glass.
deely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deely View Post
I don't think it's always that simple. I didn't have back labor, but I didn't have any contractions in my belly either. The only way I can describe it is that it was all in my hips and it felt like my hip bones were being ground into glass.
Oh yes, I remember that feeling! I remember thinking it was overwhelming, unbelievable, bone grinding pain in my hips and pelvis. OUCH! But that was mostly with my first - the sensation changed with the later babies.

I also have laboured on hands and knees with my husband pushing on my hips as hard as he can, and found it very relieving, but I did not have back labour. I think your instructor was just misinformed/confused....? Interestingly enough, I also delivered a posterior baby without any back labour. It was my easiest labour (hardest delivery) ever! Funny how these things go sometimes.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

I have had back labor with all my babies but the worst with DS. It is extremely hard and almost indescribable. With DS the only way I can describe it is it was like if someone was stabbing you in the back with a knife and twisting it with every contraction. He was posterior and came out facing the side. After him I was very nervous for my labor and delivery with DD2 here 3 months ago. I did have back labor and even ended with bruises on my back from the counter pressure I requested from my support people during labor, it wasn't as bad as with DS though and she came face down. With DD1 she was my first and I think it took me a bit to realize that that degree of extreme back pain was not the norm but that it was because of her position, she flipped right before pushing so the pushing wasn't as bad and she came out face down. All this to say that I do think you would know if you had back labor, for me it's all I have known in different degrees but I can still recognize that that is what I have had each time.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you had very intense contractions, but not back labor. That doesn't mean you weren't in incredible pain. Every labor is different and everyone's pain measure is also different.

Honestly, I found the back labor and the contractions to be totally independent sensations, very easy to distinguish. The contractions were totally manageable, albeit strong and exhausting. The back labor was horrible, nearly unbearable, and much more continuous. Even the epi I ended up with after 24 hours didn't completely stop the back pains, just the contraction pain. DD was posterior, so I am *really* hoping I'll skip the back labor with this babe, who's sitting LOA and ROA pretty reliably so far!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Okay I think I am convinced that I didn't have back labor. Seems pretty unanimous that its horrific and I'd know. Thanks for the input everyone, I hope I never end up with back labor! I.am also going to try and remember what contractions feel like for me on my next labor. It's been 4 months of me intentionally not thinking about what labor felt like. :giggle :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Oh yes, I remember that feeling! I remember thinking it was overwhelming, unbelievable, bone grinding pain in my hips and pelvis. OUCH! But that was mostly with my first - the sensation changed with the later babies.

I also have laboured on hands and knees with my husband pushing on my hips as hard as he can, and found it very relieving, but I did not have back labour. I think your instructor was just misinformed/confused....? Interestingly enough, I also delivered a posterior baby without any back labour. It was my easiest labour (hardest delivery) ever! Funny how these things go sometimes.
Honestly I think my instructor had a bit of a motive for labeling me as back labor. Hypnobabies isn't as effective with back labor so it would explain why it didn't work for me. I was very clear that I wasn't upset and thought the class was immensely valuable in terms of helping me be calm and confident but I think she might have felt some disbelief because she had a textbook hypnobabies birth and really believes in it.

She's also a very experienced doula so she had me questioning my opinion of my labor. I never thought I had back labor until she said it sounded like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
It sounds like you had very intense contractions, but not back labor. That doesn't mean you weren't in incredible pain. Every labor is different and everyone's pain measure is also different.

Honestly, I found the back labor and the contractions to be totally independent sensations, very easy to distinguish. The contractions were totally manageable, albeit strong and exhausting. The back labor was horrible, nearly unbearable, and much more continuous. Even the epi I ended up with after 24 hours didn't completely stop the back pains, just the contraction pain. DD was posterior, so I am *really* hoping I'll skip the back labor with this babe, who's sitting LOA and ROA pretty reliably so far!
It's funny but I still don't consider my labor to be incredibly painful just insanely intense. I don't remember where I felt the contractions but I just remember feeling my body being taken over by this sensation more powerful than anything I'd ever experienced. But I appreciate you validating my experience because it was intense.

I really hope your little one stays in a great position!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had back labor with my first, who was posterior and born sunny-side-up after 2.5 hours of pushing. Thank goodness I haven't had back labor again, it was awful.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti
Definitely think that's over simplifying it.

With DD, I had excruciating back labor. No question.

With DS, I'm not sure. I think I had half and half.

Both were unmedicated, but I had also prepared for back labor the second time around so maybe I was just more prepared and maybe my doula helping me relax made it easier and more difficult to tell.

Definitely the things you described are common reliefs for back labor. Of course someone with normal labor might have found them comforting as well. Hard to say.