Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Why is it so RUDE.....

To offer to-the-point advice? Must everything be sugar coated with, "You are so right. Here's my thoughts on the subject. " ?




Just genuine curiosity



Advertisement

__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Only's Avatar
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,971
Saving my spot.

Off to get popcorn so I can watch the explosion.
__________________
"You think that true love is the only thing that can crush your heart;
that will take your life and light it up or destroy it.
Then, you become a mother."

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun
To offer to-the-point advice? Must everything be sugar coated with, "You are so right. Here's my thoughts on the subject. " ?

Just genuine curiosity

Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
Saving my spot.

Off to get popcorn so I can watch the explosion.
This is funny. And short and too the point. LOL!!
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
Saving my spot.

Off to get popcorn so I can watch the explosion.
Noooooo! My thread is not to turn into one of THOSE threads. Ive gone over 2000 post without inviting the drama llama in!
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
ashersmomoo's Avatar
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eastside of Seattle
Posts: 1,964
I think it's to convey tone? I'm bad about it! (See! Tone!)
__________________
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,925
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Tris's Avatar
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,535
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

In real life or on the internet?
In real life its easier to gauge if your true opinion on the subject is going to be valued or if its just a time to listen and show compassion. Online that line is blurry.
__________________
J- sahm to Z~12.07, A~4.09 and J~ 8.13
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
UnderTheStars's Avatar
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between the Mississippi and a cornfield
Posts: 6,895
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
__________________
Alex
[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]

Last edited by UnderTheStars; 05-04-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: edited to add giggle face just in case someone takes me seriously
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
And then there are the people who blur even that line by turning emoticons like and into snarky jabs that now mean "I think you're dumber than dirt"
__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStars View Post
Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
SOOOO true.
__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bless your heart

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.