Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

and now I want REAL popcorn. Thanks a lot

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmomoo View Post
I think it's to convey tone? I'm bad about it! (See! Tone!)
Oh, I use emoticons to convey tone (just look back on my post! ) Im asking why they have to be used in order to avoid being called rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
Very nice response!

It just seems to be happening a lot lately. Or maybe its because I read less threads on here. The audience seems a bit touchier....
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I add tone to people's comments based on my emotions at the time. So if I am feeling upset or attacked I will assume the poster is attacking me or being rude. I try not to get upset but usually after reading responses to my problems I wish I had never asked cause I usually end up feeling worse than before. But I'm really sensitive.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStars View Post
Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
Ding, ding, ding!

I hope shes making kettle corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
And then there are the people who blur even that line by turning emoticons like and into snarky jabs that now mean "I think you're dumber than dirt"
I HATE that. Now, that is rude!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
I think she is right.

I am typically very direct and to the point. Perhaps even to the point of rudeness. I don't meen what I say rudely but unfortunately that is how people often seem to take what I say. I try really, really hard to not offend people on here usually but have not found myself to be entirely successful at it. At times when I thought I was being very polite and inocuous people have taken offense. I am then left staring at my screen wondering just what it was I said that was so terrible. Then I try to explain myself and wind up making it worse until I get tired or bored with the topic and I just say you are probably right or something along those lines.

I hate it when people beat around the bush. It just confuses me and I lose the point you are trying to make. If you think I am an idiot and doing things wrong just come out and say so.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
This is funny. And short and too the point. LOL!!
I know that's how you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStars
Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
I have a ton, it's organic and I didn't buy it from Wal-Mart so eat up. You'll have to agree with me on every thread for the next week, FYI.

Also, on my way back from grabbing my popcorn I found a dead horse. I'm bringing him to this thread as an offering so we can get a head start since he's been beaten severely already.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I add tone to people's comments based on my emotions at the time. So if I am feeling upset or attacked I will assume the poster is attacking me or being rude. I try not to get upset but usually after reading responses to my problems I wish I had never asked cause I usually end up feeling worse than before. But I'm really sensitive.
Thank you for the honesty!

So then, why accuse the poster of being rude if you (general "you") know that you're applying tone based on your own sensitivity? Wouldnt it make more sense to A) respond later, or B) ask for clarification of tone?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not here enough to know what the trend is, so hard to say if I see it happening more.

But, about the and -- I remember once I posted the at the end of a comment that I had made, and the WAHM who was being talked about PMed me to ask me if I was being rude/sarcastic. I totally was not, and I was surprised that she messaged me about it! But apparently she had felt personally attacked

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
I know that's how you like it.

I have a ton, it's organic and I didn't buy it from Wal-Mart so eat up. You'll have to agree with me on every thread for the next week, FYI.

Also, on my way back from grabbing my popcorn I found a dead horse. I'm bringing him to this thread as an offering so we can get a head start since he's been beaten severely already.

That was a bit rude!

I joke!

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 05-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I'm not here enough to know what the trend is, so hard to say if I see it happening more.

But, about the and -- I remember once I posted the at the end of a comment that I had made, and the WAHM who was being talked about PMed me to ask me if I was being rude/sarcastic. I totally was not, and I was surprised that she messaged me about it! But apparently she had felt personally attacked
At least she approached you privately!

Tags
bless your heart