Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Fishie Kisses's Avatar
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJV, CA
Posts: 17,654
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

and now I want REAL popcorn. Thanks a lot

Advertisement

__________________
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmomoo View Post
I think it's to convey tone? I'm bad about it! (See! Tone!)
Oh, I use emoticons to convey tone (just look back on my post! ) Im asking why they have to be used in order to avoid being called rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
Very nice response!

It just seems to be happening a lot lately. Or maybe its because I read less threads on here. The audience seems a bit touchier....
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
alyxmegan's Avatar
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: new mexico
Posts: 1,205
My Mood:
I add tone to people's comments based on my emotions at the time. So if I am feeling upset or attacked I will assume the poster is attacking me or being rude. I try not to get upset but usually after reading responses to my problems I wish I had never asked cause I usually end up feeling worse than before. But I'm really sensitive.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStars View Post
Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
Ding, ding, ding!

I hope shes making kettle corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
And then there are the people who blur even that line by turning emoticons like and into snarky jabs that now mean "I think you're dumber than dirt"
I HATE that. Now, that is rude!
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,317
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think it's because people have different personalities. You've got the thin-skinned, sensitive, fragile egos on one end, and the oblivious must-be-direct-with-them-or-they-never-catch-on types on the other. And a whole spectrum of in-betweens.

It also probably depends on the subject matter; maybe a person who seems totally regular and well-adjusted will be sensitive to a PARTICULAR issue because of something from their past.

The venue, also, is a factor. On a forum, for example, it's very hard to communicate tone. Sure there are a bunch of emoticons to help out, but otherwise you're left with having to remember to write words IN ADDITION to your point, in order to convey the tone. A straightforward or direct comment may come across as concise and simple, or it may come across as terse and unfriendly. Or maybe sarcastic! It depends on how the reader "reads" it.

That's my
I think she is right.

I am typically very direct and to the point. Perhaps even to the point of rudeness. I don't meen what I say rudely but unfortunately that is how people often seem to take what I say. I try really, really hard to not offend people on here usually but have not found myself to be entirely successful at it. At times when I thought I was being very polite and inocuous people have taken offense. I am then left staring at my screen wondering just what it was I said that was so terrible. Then I try to explain myself and wind up making it worse until I get tired or bored with the topic and I just say you are probably right or something along those lines.

I hate it when people beat around the bush. It just confuses me and I lose the point you are trying to make. If you think I am an idiot and doing things wrong just come out and say so.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Only's Avatar
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
This is funny. And short and too the point. LOL!!
I know that's how you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStars
Because we don't WANT advice - we just want everyone to agree with us.

I'll take some of that popcorn, Only.
I have a ton, it's organic and I didn't buy it from Wal-Mart so eat up. You'll have to agree with me on every thread for the next week, FYI.

Also, on my way back from grabbing my popcorn I found a dead horse. I'm bringing him to this thread as an offering so we can get a head start since he's been beaten severely already.
__________________
"You think that true love is the only thing that can crush your heart;
that will take your life and light it up or destroy it.
Then, you become a mother."

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I add tone to people's comments based on my emotions at the time. So if I am feeling upset or attacked I will assume the poster is attacking me or being rude. I try not to get upset but usually after reading responses to my problems I wish I had never asked cause I usually end up feeling worse than before. But I'm really sensitive.
Thank you for the honesty!

So then, why accuse the poster of being rude if you (general "you") know that you're applying tone based on your own sensitivity? Wouldnt it make more sense to A) respond later, or B) ask for clarification of tone?
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,928
My Mood:
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

I'm not here enough to know what the trend is, so hard to say if I see it happening more.

But, about the and -- I remember once I posted the at the end of a comment that I had made, and the WAHM who was being talked about PMed me to ask me if I was being rude/sarcastic. I totally was not, and I was surprised that she messaged me about it! But apparently she had felt personally attacked
__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
I know that's how you like it.



I have a ton, it's organic and I didn't buy it from Wal-Mart so eat up. You'll have to agree with me on every thread for the next week, FYI.

Also, on my way back from grabbing my popcorn I found a dead horse. I'm bringing him to this thread as an offering so we can get a head start since he's been beaten severely already.

That was a bit rude!










I joke!
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!

Last edited by mommyinthesun; 05-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
mommyinthesun's Avatar
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 2,944
Re: Why is it so RUDE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I'm not here enough to know what the trend is, so hard to say if I see it happening more.

But, about the and -- I remember once I posted the at the end of a comment that I had made, and the WAHM who was being talked about PMed me to ask me if I was being rude/sarcastic. I totally was not, and I was surprised that she messaged me about it! But apparently she had felt personally attacked
At least she approached you privately!
__________________
J-Mom to H (11), L(6), A(12/12/12)
ISO/IHA
Help us win a trip to Disney!
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bless your heart

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.