Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: Found stray dog - holding period before ownership is ours?

I say get a bill ready; boarding, food, medical (bill from having vet look for microchip), etc. If she contacts you again, present the bill first and see if she even bothers to get the dog. If she does, you're reimbused and had fun with a rent-a-pup. If not, the dog's all yours-just make her send you something stating she surrendered the animal to you.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I posted on CL:

"We found a small black & white Chihuahua mix male on 04/27 on (street) & (cross-street), (my) area. He is clearly well taken care of and very loving. He has no collar or microchip."

She sent the pic with her kids (I checked on Facebook) and pup looks just like it. She also answered several questions, incl if he was neutered or not (he's not).

She had a weird answer when my DH asked if he had a collar when he went missing... Something like "He usually has one, but didn't when he went missing." then "He may have had a collar on, but we thought someone took him."... =/

I told DH we should have a bill ready, I by no means want to get in contact with her unless absolutely necessary (so no sending her a bill, or getting her charged out of the blue etc) just so we have it...

We can't afford to get him shots etc this month, just a lot going on, next month will probably be okay, if not the month after..... I was hoping there would be a cheap clinic (often set up by a local organization) soon, but the only date I'm seeing is October... They do do discounts though, we'd have to get him neutered at the same time to get shots/microchip etc is all and I'm concerned with the recovery period, since the kids don't understand LEAVE THE DOG ALONE (And obviously we want to get ownership legally established before we go altering the dog.......).
Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hm.....In this case I would surrender the dog to the shelter (as long as you can get it back) and then "adopt" it back. That way you won't have to worry about shots or getting it neutered and chipped and there is no way she can come
Back and claim the dog.

Maybe her SO dumped it?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Hm.....In this case I would surrender the dog to the shelter (as long as you can get it back) and then "adopt" it back. That way you won't have to worry about shots or getting it neutered and chipped and there is no way she can come
Back and claim the dog.

Maybe her SO dumped it?
I thought about that, but he is supposed to be in Texas at a military base.... Again according to her Facebook (I'm such a stalker ). I did wonder with the sudden turnaround - maybe she discovered he dumped the dog and didn't want him back in the house or something.... Letting us know one way or the other would be courteous though!

ETA: Since her address seems to be an old one, I wondered if she was staying with family and another family member dumped him...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, I bet so! And won't allow it to come back maybe?

Sad
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I would take the dog to the shelter, they won't alter or vet the dog at all and you run the risk of the dog getting sick there. If you can take the dog to the humane society or a rescue that is an option but it will cost more to adopt the dog back (and they may not allow you unless you let them know exactly what you are doing). Local shelters (or "the pound") in most places just pick up strays and hold them long enough for their owners to find them or for some one else to adopt them. They do not vet animals (at least they don't here). One of our local shelters has a very low kill rate but the one in my town has an unfortunately high kill rate (over 80% for dogs and you don't want to know for cats). We have too many unwanted animals. I have never adopted a pet from there that did not need immediate vet care. I pick them up and take them straight to my vet, then home and into the bath. If I have other pets I usually quarantine just to be safe. I still adopt from there because I know those dogs need help and deserve a chance.

If it were me I would call around and try to find a vet clinic that offers low cost shots and get a vet record started on the little guy. We have several low cost vet centers here. We have a "mobile vet" that offers low cost shots as well as a clinic and a pet supply shop that offers low cost shots and medications once a month. Then the SPCA and Humane Society have a low cost spay/neuter program (you can get shots too) you just have to drive to get to them. Do some googling and calling around to see what you can find. I wouldn't contact this woman as you ran an add already which will work in your favor. We have found dog before and this is what we did. We ran adds, had them scanned, contacted local vets to see if anyone was missing a dog, contacted local shelters and then ultimately either kept the dog or found them new homes after a few weeks.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All pets are immediately vaccinated upon going into a shelter or "pound", and they are vaccinated and spayed before adopting out. I worked for the Vet that spayed all pets from the fort worth pound.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Our shelter allows us to foster lost dogs if we have any interest in doing so. We take them in, they get pics and details then we take the dog back home. When the family comes looking for them at the shelter, the shelter contacts us.

Your shelter should also be able to tell you when the dog is legally yours regardless what you choose to do.

I would be really hesitant to leave the dog at the shelter if you do not want him put down.

ETA: If you don't get the answer you want from a shelter worker, go up the chain, we have had some VERY ill informed ppl "help" us. One guy made us turn over a lost dog with no id or microchip whom we wanted to foster and possibly keep if not claimed. This worker was just surly and seemed to want to push ppl around. Looking back we should have asked for his manager, he was in the wrong.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 05-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Resellmybelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
All pets are immediately vaccinated upon going into a shelter or "pound", and they are vaccinated and spayed before adopting out. I worked for the Vet that spayed all pets from the fort worth pound.
This may happen at the Fort Worth pound but that is unique to that pound. It does not happen at the pound in Lewisville, Flower Mound or Denton. It is not universal practice.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
This may happen at the Fort Worth pound but that is unique to that pound. It does not happen at the pound in Lewisville, Flower Mound or Denton. It is not universal practice.

Doesn't happen in Grand Prairie either, they give a voucher to get those services at a later time to the adoptive home.