Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Found stray dog - holding period before ownership is ours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Doesn't happen in Grand Prairie either, they give a voucher to get those services at a later time to the adoptive home.
That is just crazy!!! No wonder certain shelters have parvo outbreaks!

I know that when my dogs got out and they where taken to the shelter here in Arlington that they where immediately given bordettela and parvo vaccine.....i had to pay for it even though they where current on shots.

So i guess it does depend on the shelter.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post

I know that when my dogs got out and they where taken to the shelter here in Arlington that they where immediately given bordettela and parvo vaccine.....i had to pay for it even though they where current on shots.

Sorry, need to clarify, they are NOT spayed or neutered before adopting out, you just get a voucher to go towards it.

I am unsure what shots they may or may not get while in the shelter.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our two local feed stores offer inexpensive shots and microchips almost every weekend. Our dog only goes to the vet for injuries or illness.

I had a similar situation where a woman tracked me down a month after I took her dog in from a local kennel that found it. Her story did not add up. Best I can figure, she was probably in jail and her brother either lost the dog or dumped it. I'd already gotten the dog cleaned up, shots, registered, and treated for an allergy. The ONLY reason I gave the dog back was because the dog was so happy to see her.

I'd send one last message that she has until X time to get the dog or you would have to assume it wasn't her dog after all.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post

Our shelter does have parvo outbreaks pretty frequently. Mange is not uncommon, and of course fleas. We brought home a puppy that we almost lost to parvo within a week of adoption (luckily our older dog was immune). We had kittens that came home with coccidea and we lost one. The last set of fosters we had in were a mama dog and litter that were just a mess. Mama had worms, mange, the works. She delivered her litter early from the stress of the situation. Half of the litter didn't survive birth. We got them at 1week and they were fighting skin infections that cost them parts of their ears and toes. The puppies still wound up developing mange at 12weeks. So the pound in Gunbarrel City doesn't provide vet care on arrival either.

Here you are required to provide proof of rabies and register your pet (cat or dog) within a certain time frame of adoption. Same if your dog is picked up by AC. I'm bad about not registering my dogs. You are also required to spay/neuter within 3 months I believe (or within a certain time frame of when the animal turns 6months old) and return with proof to the shelter. That is true at the four closest shelters. You don't even get a voucher to get services cheaper. Adoption is "cheap" $50 for a dog and less for a cat but you accept that you are taking on an animal that is probably sick. I hate that it is this way because it really discourages people from adopting.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
The only real legal info I've found with googling is that we can charge her for looking after her dog, which I think is just hilarious... I wondered if she was just using us for free boarding to start with, but if she turns around and wants him back we can send her a bill
You can also hold the dog until she pays that bill. That's how I adopted one of my dogs. He was 6 weeks old and his owner was sent to a Youth Detention facility. When she got out, she wanted him back. I gave her a bill for food, toys, a dog crate, a bed, vet care, my time for training and exercising him. Anything dog-related I charged her for because we wanted to keep him and I kept copies of receipts and stuff around for 2 years because I was paranoid she would try to take him. But really, most boarding facilities have a policy that if an animal isn't picked up within 10 days after an agreed upon date and all bills reguarding that animal paid, it becomes the property of the facility.

She threw a fit about this, but the Sheriff backed me up that she needed to pay for all the stuff I did for the dog before she could have him back.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is horrible that they don't provide vet care. Our humane society has a vet that comes and gives the dogs shots and spats/neuters them. Our dog we just adopted a month ago was even taken off premise to a different vet to have a medical scan done since the Humane society didn't have the equipment there. Even with the vet care, they had parvo going around with the puppies about a month ago.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #27
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyandnick View Post
That is horrible that they don't provide vet care. Our humane society has a vet that comes and gives the dogs shots and spats/neuters them. Our dog we just adopted a month ago was even taken off premise to a different vet to have a medical scan done since the Humane society didn't have the equipment there. Even with the vet care, they had parvo going around with the puppies about a month ago.
The humane society is totally different than your local animal control. Humane society is all volunteer and get to choose which animals they take/don't take. They are also no-kill. Local AC have to take all dogs that are dumped on their door step plus drive around picking up strays running the streets. Your tax dollars pay for AC but there is never enough money (they also deal with "pests" like possums, raccoons ect and road kill it is not a glamorous job). I don't want people to get the wrong idea, our AC does the very best with what they have but there are far too many unwanted pets in our area and their hands are tied. They take in everything from rabbits to horses and they enforce Animal cruelty laws to the best of their abilities. They will tell you straight up when you find a lost or abandoned dog that chances are the animal is not going to find a home so if you think you would like to keep it they prefer you foster it in your home (dogs and cats do better in homes and stay healthier too). We have fostered for them in the past and usually just give them a heads up that we found a stray so they can attempt to reconnect the animal with its owner if some one is looking. It just isn't fair to compare AC that is run by the city and has to do what they are told to an animal rescue organization that is funded by donations and can make decisions about when to take an animal and what to do with it when they take it. I have volunteered with both.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Our shelter does have parvo outbreaks pretty frequently. Mange is not uncommon, and of course fleas. We brought home a puppy that we almost lost to parvo within a week of adoption (luckily our older dog was immune). We had kittens that came home with coccidea and we lost one. The last set of fosters we had in were a mama dog and litter that were just a mess. Mama had worms, mange, the works. She delivered her litter early from the stress of the situation. Half of the litter didn't survive birth. We got them at 1week and they were fighting skin infections that cost them parts of their ears and toes. The puppies still wound up developing mange at 12weeks. So the pound in Gunbarrel City doesn't provide vet care on arrival either.

Here you are required to provide proof of rabies and register your pet (cat or dog) within a certain time frame of adoption. Same if your dog is picked up by AC. I'm bad about not registering my dogs. You are also required to spay/neuter within 3 months I believe (or within a certain time frame of when the animal turns 6months old) and return with proof to the shelter. That is true at the four closest shelters. You don't even get a voucher to get services cheaper. Adoption is "cheap" $50 for a dog and less for a cat but you accept that you are taking on an animal that is probably sick. I hate that it is this way because it really discourages people from adopting.

Ok i looked up the shelters, and it looks like they are given parvo and bordetella, because legally anyone can give these vaccines, but not the rabies because that must be administered by a vet. So when you adopt from these places you have to take them to the VET to have the rabies and neuter but its included in your adoption. It looks like Denton does it all through the shelter including a HWT. Now lewisville takes the pet to a vet to have the rabies and alterations done prior to it going home with the owner. So it just depends on if they have a vet on staff or not.

I think legally they have to vaccinate against easily transmittable diseases like parvo and distemper.

This is all totally off topic lol.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dont think all Human Society's are "no kill". I am pretty sure that the North Texas one still euthanizes.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow that is new for Lewisville. Of course we haven't adopted a dog from there in a couple of years (or 12). That is where our parvo puppy and the kitten we lost to coccidea both came from. The last dog we had get out was fixed and UTD so they asked for proof (the lack of parts was proof enough for neutering lol) and made us pay to get him registered. When I volunteered there they did not have a vet on staff but they have started using petfinder to try to home their dogs so they may be trying to fix some of that. They have been one of the highest kill rate shelters though that is largely the area so who knows.

When Flower Mound first opened its own shelter they did no vetting. The newer one was cleaner and I think may have given us a voucher when we adopted a dog, it was only for shots though, not for spaying. Again this was several years ago. When we went to Denton with a stray we picked up they wouldn't let us drop him off (because we were not from Denton) but we were told if we wanted to drop him off and pick him back up when his hold was over we would be required to return with proof of vac and neutering. We chose to leave info in case his owners came looking and after 10days find him a new home. It looks like many of the shelters are making changes for the better.

Last edited by iris0110; 05-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.