Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Found stray dog - holding period before ownership is ours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
I dont think all Human Society's are "no kill". I am pretty sure that the North Texas one still euthanizes.
I've never been to the North Texas Humane Society and HSUS is certainly not but most small local Humane Societies attempt to practice as close to zero euthanasia as possible. They only pull animals that they intend to adopt out and have space for in foster homes or in their shelters. Most will only euthanize if an animal is very ill or unsafe in some way. Our local humane society does not have a shelter, it uses foster families so they don't take in many animals (I think they have a "cat house" facility). Though I used to volunteer at the Irving HS shelter. That is the benefit that rescue organizations like the Humane Society have over Animal Control. Animal Control can't chose which animals they take.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110

The humane society is totally different than your local animal control. Humane society is all volunteer and get to choose which animals they take/don't take. They are also no-kill. Local AC have to take all dogs that are dumped on their door step plus drive around picking up strays running the streets. Your tax dollars pay for AC but there is never enough money (they also deal with "pests" like possums, raccoons ect and road kill it is not a glamorous job). I don't want people to get the wrong idea, our AC does the very best with what they have but there are far too many unwanted pets in our area and their hands are tied. They take in everything from rabbits to horses and they enforce Animal cruelty laws to the best of their abilities. They will tell you straight up when you find a lost or abandoned dog that chances are the animal is not going to find a home so if you think you would like to keep it they prefer you foster it in your home (dogs and cats do better in homes and stay healthier too). We have fostered for them in the past and usually just give them a heads up that we found a stray so they can attempt to reconnect the animal with its owner if some one is looking. It just isn't fair to compare AC that is run by the city and has to do what they are told to an animal rescue organization that is funded by donations and can make decisions about when to take an animal and what to do with it when they take it. I have volunteered with both.
The humane society we have here is contracted by the county to provide animal control services. So they are both out of the same place and all the animals go to the same shelter. Not sure if it is because we are a more rural county or what. But out humane society will not turn any animals away. I don't think they let anyone foster either. I think they do pretty well on adopting dogs out. Before getting the new dog, my boys and I would try to go once or twice a week to walk the dogs. Most of the dogs there get adopted very quickly. They only had a few that had been there for a while.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #33
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The humane society we got both our cats from picks animals from local shelters, spays/neuters them, vaccinates, deworms etc etc and often posts on their Facebook for fosters for these animals just to get them out of the shelter so they aren't euthanized. They do an awesome job; I'm actually donating some of the $ from selling my skinny wraps to them atm because we know first hand what a great job they do!

The shelters I've never really looked into...I doubt they treat the animals at this point. There is an organization I'm calling tomorrow (who works with the humane society) to find out pricing for neutering/vaccines etc. We just did a flea treatment this weekend...

Really need a crate...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #34
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Found stray dog - holding period before ownership is ours?

I don't know about legalities. But I have to say stray dogs are awesome dogs. When I was 5 a mutt came into our yard (we lived on the edge of town). After several days my Dad said if the dog was still in the yard when he got home, he'd take it to the shelter. It wasn't in the yard when he got home...that was the best dog ever. She lived 17-18 years and always had the absolute sweetest temperment. I was 5 so a lot of the details were lost on me but your kids may have found an amazing pet to keep them company for their childhood.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote