Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dish network charged me 2x(super huge vent)

I swear I'm about in tears.
I cancelled my service at the end of February, before my contract ended. I paid the early termination fee either online or by check, I don't remember which, and sent my equipment back. I owe $18.50 for shipping, which is admittedly overdue by a few days, I've been waiting to make sure I can pay the electric first.
I woke up to an email that said "Thank you for your payment of $367"! WTF! #1- I haven't sent them a payment
#2- Why are they charging me another fee for this????

I got on the online support chat, and they told me that they didn't receive a payment for it, that the charge was for my early termination fee, and that it was disconnected back at the end of December??????? I kept asking the guy how they got this recent payment, he just kept saying what it was for. I said I only owe $18.50 according to the last bill I got, he said that I owed that and that the last payment was for the fee. He then basically accused me, in a very polite way, of not paying, because "if you don't send a payment, we will disconnect your service."
What the hell? I'm going to the bank tomorrow, that was my summer tuition money. I know I paid. I know I did. If I hadn't, it would've shown up on my last bill.
I really, really despise satellite tv companies.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dish network charged me 2x(super huge vent)

Wow I hope that you can figure out what happened and get everything resolved!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
skilgore
Registered Users
seller

Can you look on your bank statement and prove that you paid? I'm pretty sure if you can prove it to them then they can't charge (take it from you) you again. Hope you get everything worked out
skilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilgore View Post
Can you look on your bank statement and prove that you paid? I'm pretty sure if you can prove it to them then they can't charge (take it from you) you again. Hope you get everything worked out
You can bet I'll be at the bank at 8am tomorrow. I'm so mad...I'm so mad I can't see straight. I know I paid, because they wouldn't send me the box to send my stuff back until I did.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Three Little Monkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Same thing happened to us except I never paid with our debit card and the credit card they had on file we had closed a few months before we canceled dish. So they kept sending us a bill for almost $200. My husband would call and say I paid you I have proof I don't owe this i didnt terminate early and i sent the equipment back. they would give him the run around repeating that is was for the final month and early termination and never give him any more info. Eventually they turned it over to collections and we ended up just paying it to get it off his credit. I hope you can get your money back!

Not to crunchy...just a little crispy on the edges
Three Little Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had nothing but problems with dish network since I started the service. They had to send a technician out three times to get it properly installed. The first guy they sent was rude and didn't do hardly anything right. He left little pieces of connector, wire, and cable everywhere for my two year old to find. He didn't caulk the holes he drilled to get the cables into the house so we could see to the outside. He didn't pin up the cables to the house on the outside so the first time we weedwacked the cable would of been damaged. To boot he cut our internet line while installing the dish. I complained and asked them to not send the same guy out. Not only did they send the same guy out, but they told him everything I said. The guy was hostile and confronted me about it. Thank god our landlord was here to point out every mistake he needed to correct. Even after all that he still didn't get it installed right. The third guy they sent out was actually a dish network person not a contractor. He had to redo everything the first guy did.

It is great that I get 250 channels for $117 a month, but there is no customer service. They charged us for the month we didn't have service stating we had a contract. Ok I get that. Then after I paid the bill in full online it immediately said I owed $117 still. I started getting the harassing automated calls too. I ignored it. They took the fee off. Now they are demanding $18 for the month of May which I already paid for May. We have four receivers but you can only watch or record three things. My mom was obsessed with recording things so she not only filled up the dvr 50% in two months but it didn't record my shows. There was a constant conflict of what she was recording and watching versus what we were watching. I asked if we could get her her own dvr and they said no we weren't ok for an upgrade. You can't hook up your own dvr device to your tv and have the satellite either so her dvr that burns dvds as well is useless. Another obnoxious feature is that it shuts off every two hours if it hasn't had the channel changed. I leave it on Nick Jr. for my son all day more for background noise than him actually watching it all day. It's annoying to have to keep turning it back on. They refuse to change our payment due date so we are always a payment behind when they send the bill out during the middle of the month. I have explained to them numerous times everything is due at the beginning of the month so I can't pay them at the beginning of the month too.
It has been nothing but inconvenience since we started the service. I'm seriously reconsidering continuing the service after our contract is up. I had considered just paying the early termination fee to be rid of the headache, but after reading your post I'll just ride the rest of the contract out.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh wow! Now I know who not to deal with! I hope you get it resolved!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

This exact thing happened to us. We overdrew our account that month. Eventually we got it credited back but it took like a month and a half. I had to just keep calling and calling. Be sure to get names and companies keep record of the conversation by confirmation numbers, keep those too. Demand to talk to an American if you are transferred overseas, the American call centers take the escalated angry callers and can do more. Dish network are crooks, that's for sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I'll spare you my story and myself the rekindling of an intense burning anger I have for them but dish network is a scammer and I hope you get your $$ back but I never did.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
PurpleMushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wait, they can just take money from your account without authorizing it with you first? That's scary. And here I thought Time Warner and Directv were pains in the butts.
This is terrible, I'm so sorry. It's going to take forever to get that money back if they just snatched it from your bank account. I would seriously consider using checks from now on, since it doesn't give scummy companies access to your account.
PurpleMushie is offline   Reply With Quote