Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kindle Fire or HD?

DD wants a Kindle Fire for Christmas this year (yes, I'm thinking that far ahead. lol) She wanted a new iPod, but then I mentioned a Kindle Fire tonight and she would rather have that. So, what's the main difference between the Fire and the Fire HD? Anyone had both? She'll be 12 by Christmas time if that matters.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Kindle Fire or HD?

I have the HD & my daughter has the newer Kindle Fire that isn't HD. The HD has a camera built in, and sounds a little better when watching movies and has better picture. It has a mini-hdmi out to hook up to a monitor or tv. I haven't had a need for the HDMI output at all. I used the camera twice to try it, and it's not that nice. I personally didn't feel it was worth the money to upgrade to the HD version. Both are good products though & I would recommend it over the iPod.
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have Fire and HD. I like HD better. It has a nicer carousel and the option of splitting screens when browsing websites like Amazon. For example when you browse Amazon there is the bottom portion that says "people also bought..." with the HD you can scroll that bottom half of the screen without changing the top half of the screen.

I find the HD keyboard to be a tiny bit too sensitive but that's all.

Our Fire charges to a wall outlet. Our HD charges to a USB port. Both hold their charge adequately. We use ours every single day. Several times every day.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy_B View Post
I have Fire and HD. I like HD better. It has a nicer carousel and the option of splitting screens when browsing websites like Amazon. For example when you browse Amazon there is the bottom portion that says "people also bought..." with the HD you can scroll that bottom half of the screen without changing the top half of the screen.

I find the HD keyboard to be a tiny bit too sensitive but that's all.

Our Fire charges to a wall outlet. Our HD charges to a USB port. Both hold their charge adequately. We use ours every single day. Several times every day.
How old is your non-HD Fire? It sounds like your version might be older than the one my daughter got last January. Hers can charge by USB and it doesn't have the scrolling issue when you browse the "people also bought."
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We got our Fire for Christmas 2011. So almost a year and a half.

Our HD arrived on Christmas 2012.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
karikos
Registered Users
seller

I think the browsing thing is the "Special Offers" which allows Amazon to display ads and that information on the Kindle while you're using the internet and stuff. Mine doesn't have that, but I have the original Kindle Fire. You can pay them 15 more dollars to take that option off. That's my one complaint with the newer Kindles, Amazon uses them to advertise constantly. :/

I love my Kindle Fire and probably won't upgrade to an HD version for awhile. It's enough for me and the video quality is still great on it. I think it just depends on how much you'll want to spend or how big of a screen you want
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Cathy_B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, the Fire is a great little gadget. I was thrilled with it and I would not have upgraded to HD except that it was a gift. I would have still been completely satisfied with the Fire. My entire family has loved it.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have the HD (which I love) so I can't compare, but I did want to say that Amazon is currently offering $20 off the HD for Mother's Day (in case you are buying in advance, not just thinking about options).
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

I only have the original Fire but I love it. I would say it would be totally fine for a 12 year old.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips ladies. I plan to buy the version without the ads because it's just a small amount to pay extra to have them gone. Won't be buying it early because she's liable to change her mind about wanting it before Christmas.