Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Breastfeeding while preg?

I am very worried to do this. Should I be worried? Dd is 10 months & we will be ttc very soon.

Please share with me your stories & insight to breast feeding while preg.

Thx!

Advertisement

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
satorifound
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding while preg?

I breastfed through my 4th pregnancy and then tandem nursed them. Lots of people do it. I worried that the nursing would cause me to go into labor early, but it was fine. I did get Braxton Hicks contractions really early, but I don't think that was from the breastfeeding.
satorifound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
birdinhand
Registered Users

How much is your lo eating in regards to other food? More than likely you will lose a lot of your supply, so if his needs are being met at the breast mainly, it will need to be replaced with formula or more solids.

Unless you have issues with preterm labor, breastfeeding while pregnant is fine health-wise; your body gets used to the oxytocin being produced and it doesn't generally cause contractions. How you will feel nursing while pregnant is a whole different issue -- some women are fine with it, some feel like their skin is crawling, their breasts are sore and tender, and they don't wish to continue.

I nursed through a pregnancy and tandem nursed for 2 years after that; it was hard at times because I would ge that skin-crawling feeling, but if I occupied my mind, by reading or watching tv, I could tolerate it. If I just sat there nursing, sometimes I would really be bothered. It was so nice to get my toddler to lie down to nap with me when I was so tired, though! Worth it. And I feel they had no sibling rivarly because I could sit and nurse them both at the same time, so even though #1 was still little, he didn't lose his "nursies" when the new baby came.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
queenamy
Registered Users

My Son wAs Older Than YouR Daughter When I Was Pregnant & i Read A Lot AbouT tandem nursing. Kellymom.Com Is A Good resource. I did Experience That Skin Crawling Agitation Later In My Pregnancy & Was Glad To Have Read About It Before It Happened! Since Ds Was Older, I WoulD Just End The Nursing

Dd Is 6 Weeks Old & Tandem NursiNg Was Hard At First With Ds Asking To Nurse every 2 Minutes! It's Gotten A Lot BettEr now.
queenamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have nursed through 3 of my 5 term pregnancies. It is a personal choice and depends so much on how you feel at the time. My supply always tanks to nothing at some point but my babies were close to or over a year when I got pregnant so it was less of a sustenance concern. With the first 2 times I got the skin crawly-run screaming down the street feeling towards the end but not really the 3rd time. All 3 times the toddler just kept nursing even after the milk dried up. I am currently nursing our 28mo and our 12 week old. It works for us.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I lost my supply, so buyer beware. I had to go on reglan for 6 months to make it till DS was 11 1/2 months old, then dried up completely. My nipples were sore as hell, but other than that I was fine.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lost my supply as well. DD1 was 12 months when we found out though and we made it another 3 before the milk was gone and the pain while nursing started.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever
I have nursed through 3 of my 5 term pregnancies. It is a personal choice and depends so much on how you feel at the time. My supply always tanks to nothing at some point but my babies were close to or over a year when I got pregnant so it was less of a sustenance concern. With the first 2 times I got the skin crawly-run screaming down the street feeling towards the end but not really the 3rd time. All 3 times the toddler just kept nursing even after the milk dried up. I am currently nursing our 28mo and our 12 week old. It works for us.
That is wonderful you are nursing your 2 smallest babes now

When you say you have nursed through 3 of your 5 term pregnancies does this mean you have also been nursing & miscarried? Sorry I ask but it is what I am afraid of and wonder if you have has this experience?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I lost my supply, so buyer beware. I had to go on reglan for 6 months to make it till DS was 11 1/2 months old, then dried up completely. My nipples were sore as hell, but other than that I was fine.
Wow I didn't know you could take reglan which pregnant. But I guess that makes sense if you can take it I nurse it will be safe for fetus too. Congrats on 11.5 months that is wonderful
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
How much is your lo eating in regards to other food? More than likely you will lose a lot of your supply, so if his needs are being met at the breast mainly, it will need to be replaced with formula or more solids.

Unless you have issues with preterm labor, breastfeeding while pregnant is fine health-wise; your body gets used to the oxytocin being produced and it doesn't generally cause contractions. How you will feel nursing while pregnant is a whole different issue -- some women are fine with it, some feel like their skin is crawling, their breasts are sore and tender, and they don't wish to continue.

I nursed through a pregnancy and tandem nursed for 2 years after that; it was hard at times because I would ge that skin-crawling feeling, but if I occupied my mind, by reading or watching tv, I could tolerate it. If I just sat there nursing, sometimes I would really be bothered. It was so nice to get my toddler to lie down to nap with me when I was so tired, though! Worth it. And I feel they had no sibling rivarly because I could sit and nurse them both at the same time, so even though #1 was still little, he didn't lose his "nursies" when the new baby came.
That is so great! I am worried though because dd doesn't like food very much. She only like purees right now & puffs & will tolerate about 3 bites of banana, avocado or mango.