Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Zipfelmuetze
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Intravenous Penicillin

Now that I'm GBS+ I just had to go and Google everything. I keep finding testimonials about how painful Penicillin is. Some people say it hurts more than the contractions. What's the deal? Have you had Penicillin intravenously? How was it? This won't deter me from taking it, as I want the best for my baby, but I want to be mentally prepared for an additional labor pain.

Advertisement

Zipfelmuetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Intravenous Penicillin

I was GBS+ and dis one round of the abx before I started pushing. It was only as painful as a normal IV. I was able to have a natural birrh.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I think your confusing penicillin for pitocin. Penicillin is an antibiotic and shouldn't hurt any more than regular saline solution in an IV. Pitocin is an artificial hormone that causes stronger contractions and is usually reported to cause more painful contractions as a result.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, I don't think she is confusing things. Penicillin can be quite painful to receive especially as a shot. I had a penicillin shot during baby #4 that was very painful and still sore after 4 months. However, most hospitals give this as an IV so it is diluted. I have found my penicillin IVs to be uncomfortable and a burning sensation, especially when the penicillin first starts to run. I did find it made it harder for me to focus on contractions, but it was a short lived discomfort and definitely not worse the contractions. Hope that helps!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've had three GBS+ births and never had any issue with the penicillin. You are attached to an IV which makes moving around more complicated, but definitely not painful.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej
No, I don't think she is confusing things. Penicillin can be quite painful to receive especially as a shot. I had a penicillin shot during baby #4 that was very painful and still sore after 4 months. However, most hospitals give this as an IV so it is diluted. I have found my penicillin IVs to be uncomfortable and a burning sensation, especially when the penicillin first starts to run. I did find it made it harder for me to focus on contractions, but it was a short lived discomfort and definitely not worse the contractions. Hope that helps!
This! It does burn initially and then it goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
I was GBS+ and dis one round of the abx before I started pushing. It was only as painful as a normal IV. I was able to have a natural birrh.
Same here. Just watch out for yeast in your cloth diapers because we've had to battle it twice and I think part of it has to do with the antibiotics I was given in the hospital.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My GBS test results were not yet back when I went into labor with my 2nd, so according to hospital policy, I had to have penicillin (still silly since I only got 1 bag in and had him less than 2 hours later).

For me, it hurt. I had an iv, it was far more annoying (though maybe not as painful) than contractions. But not something I could ignore and I make sure I get my test done early now so that I don't have to take it for no reason again (I was negative).
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Zipfelmuetze
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys! I'll be taking probiotics after the antibiotics, maybe once I get home, since I'm not sure where I could keep them refrigerated at the birthing center. Hopefully that'll avoid any yeast infections for the both of us. I've only ever had an IV once and that was to knock me out for surgery, so I have no idea what it's like to have one in while I'm awake.

I was thinking maybe some people feel the burning while others don't because hospitals may put Litocaine in some Penicillin IVs while others don't. Or they start it up much slower than others perhaps. OR, everyone's bodies are different. ; ) That's probably it.
Zipfelmuetze is offline   Reply With Quote