Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one

And our crib was 5+ years old and had been recalled about 3 years ago, they still took it.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsmama
I genuinely don't understand how a baby can get stuck between the side and mattress (again, I'm genuinely confused)? There is no space between the side and mattress in my crib.
The one I had that was recalled had plastic guides on the bottom. If you didn't get the side exactly on those guides the whole side could pop off or just one side could if you got one side and not the other meaning the baby could potentially get stuck between the mattress and the crib side. It would flex to allow the baby in but the baby wouldn't be strong enough to get out of it. Not to mention if you don't get the rail on the guides properly and the side completely fell off and baby can fall out of the crib and land on the crib side. Add to this risk the bumper pads and you have a recipe for disaster. Eta- added pic

OP- I would look into returning it to either TRU or Target of possible and otherwise find a kit to immobilize the rail and you should be good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3917905228.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	142841  

Last edited by TwinKristi; 05-08-2013 at 10:12 AM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone explain drop side crib dangers to me? And should I just buy a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHome Sewing View Post
Not all drop sides are evil, but not all were created equal (thus the decision to discontinue making them.)
There were several design/manufacture flaws to be concerned about:
broken/missing parts
the drop side hardware breaking or coming detached from the crib (mostly happened with the plastic hardware, not metal)
the mattress support failing/breaking
less than simple instructions for assembly
and much older cribs may have had too wide spacing between mattress or crib slats

You can check online to see if your crib has ever had recalls or any safety kits designed after production. There are websites such as the Consumer Product Safety Commission, or the website of the manufacturer. You can also call the manufacturer.
Some cribs were simply given a "repair" kit. This should be shipped to you free of charge should you choose to keep the crib.

I have, and would continue to use, a drop side crib providing that there were no major recalls involved for that particular model. I am a person that feels I have a good grasp of common sense in safety and understands how to assemble things per manufacturer directions, but not everyone shares the same qualities.
So, personally Mama, I would contact the manufacturer so you understand the safety history with this crib. If it all checks out ok, I would personally use it, but that is your call to make. I also check for recalls on ALL used baby gear, not just cribs. Uniform precautions.
Yes, to this. There are several issues with dropside cribs that caused them to be banned. As mentioned here, the bottom of the drop-side rail can come loose and swing out away from the crib, allowing baby to become stuck between the mattress and loose rail. Typically, this happens for a couple of reasons. Most common is that the crib is not put together properly. Occassionally, though, the plastic parts break or become loose. The easiest way to prevent this problem is to make absolutely sure that the crib is put together correctly. Also, with ANY crib, check the screws that hold it together regularly, making sure that they are all appropriately tight.

But the drop side is not the only issue. New cribs are more strongly made - some of the issues were caused by overly-energetic toddlers (or their slightly older siblings) jumping in the crib, causing the mattress support to break. The actual bars on the crib sides are also made stronger so they are less likely to break if the crib is used as a jungle gym.

Again, these issues are really, really rare - almost non-existent if you properly maintain the crib and use it as intended. The "repair kits" secure the lower edge of the drop side so it won't drop anymore. You can do the same thing yourself by getting a few long (around 4 inches) screws. Set the rail at the "up" position, then drill through the outside legs of the crib into the upper and lower bars of the drop side. You could do something similar so the mattress support won't drop out - even replacing it entirely with a solid wood base.

Like the above-poster, I would use our drop-side crib (which has no recalls) if we were to have another child. But if you have any concerns about yours, I'd say it's worth the peace of mind to replace it.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would buy a new one. Better safe than sorry. Even a new pack n play if budget is an issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone! We ultimately decided to buy a new one. In my head I know I can rig it and it will be perfectly safe but I also know I will probably worry the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraElise View Post
I would look into the recall for it, in our case, it was recalled completely, not just for the drop down side so we got store credit from Target for the original price ($150) and were able to get a brand new crib.

We didn't even purchase it since it was a gift, all we needed to do was bring in the crib and my drivers license (they needed that just to issue the gift card) and that was that. So it's worth at least looking into IMO
I took your advice and called the company. They said the crib was too old (10 years) and they were doing nothing except telling people to destroy them. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh that's too bad We were told there was no limit on the age of the crib as long as there was a legitimate recall on it. Of course our company went under after several recalls, so we just dealt directly with the store and the voluntarily were honoring the recalls.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
I, too, use a drop side crib now and in the past. I cannot figure out how it would move or break or detach or anything like that. It just doesn't make sense as I sit and stare at it looking for failure points. The sides slide up and down on metal rods and the dropping mechanism is underneath and requires that you manipulate it a certain way to make it drop.

I love drop side cribs. I'm tall, and even I find it hard to put a baby into the crib with the side all the way up.
This is what we had. A much older model, metal hardware. Not the simplest to put together, but I never had a safety concern with it, it was solid.
The issues really started when everything moved to China and all hardware became plastic. Plastic breaks.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
The one I had that was recalled had plastic guides on the bottom. If you didn't get the side exactly on those guides the whole side could pop off or just one side could if you got one side and not the other meaning the baby could potentially get stuck between the mattress and the crib side. It would flex to allow the baby in but the baby wouldn't be strong enough to get out of it. Not to mention if you don't get the rail on the guides properly and the side completely fell off and baby can fall out of the crib and land on the crib side. Add to this risk the bumper pads and you have a recipe for disaster. Eta- added pic

OP- I would look into returning it to either TRU or Target of possible and otherwise find a kit to immobilize the rail and you should be good!
One of these days I will figure out multi-quote.
We were lent a crib just like this, on weird plastic sliders. To drop the rail you had to lift bar and simultaneously squeeze in plastic tabs. If lifted just right, or not assembled right, the whole thing pops off completely or worse, only from one corner (your entrapment hazard.)
I gave it back real fast, haha. I'm not a genius, but I am not dumb, but I even had a hard time using this crib correctly/safely (if it could ever be done that way in the first place.)
Our other crib was as I last quoted, slid on metal rails and the release was near your shins at the bottom of the rail. I WOULD personally use one like this again if needed.

OP, can you wait for a BabiesRUs trade in event? Get a 25% off coupon for that piece of junk
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I still use ours. I check the bolts regularly and don't use it as a playpen. She'll be going in a toddler bed as soon as she can.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have one and still use it. Ours is an older model, like from the 90's I think. The hardware is really good on it, but we do still check it once in a while. I'm not worried at all about it, but I would be if it was one like my sister got a few years ago. It was obviously very cheaply made and one I wouldn't use.