Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Nearing the end of breastfeeding, more options?

I breastfed DD until she was 2. DS is almost 19 months and still going strong (feeding 2-5 times a day for a few minutes, nothing substancial but enough that it's important to him and to me, he nurses to sleep for nap). I am prone to ovarian cysts and lost my right ovary to a 10-15 cm cyst before I got pregnant with DS so my OB/ GYN wants me on birth control indefinitely to prevent losing my remaining ovary to another cyst. I've been on the Mini pill since he was 2 months without issues until I got my first period in December. it was about a month long and terrible. On the advisement of my OB/ GYN I switched back to combination pill knowing it would affect my milk, it definitely did. I would pump once a day (I work 12 hr shifts 3 days a week) and get 2-3oz, it dropped to about 10ml, but my period was normal. I did that for 2 months, then decided to try the mini pill once more. I did, first month my period was 6 days- great- and my milk had a temporary spike in volume (up to an ounce) but now I pump only 10-15ml. This month my period was normal for a week, light for another week, gone for a week and then back heavy as ever. I feel like I'm out of options. I probably need to switch back to my combination pills, everyone keeps telling me this is a sign that my body is saying stop- but I bet if I do my milk will be gone completely and I'm so sad about that. IDK what to do, go off birth control completely for a couple months until he's done (and risk getting a cyst) or suck it up and go back on the combination pills and likely force him to wean. He's my last baby and I'm totally fine with him self weaning but I just don't want to be the reason he's forced to quit, KWIM? IDK, I'm really going to miss breastfeeding. Does anyone have any insight or more options to prevent cysts without birth control? I'm at a loss...

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Nearing the end of breastfeeding, more options?

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I would stop the pills all together since you will be not having anymore babies. So sorry you are faced with this dilemma.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Little milk doesn't have to mean weaning. Do what you feel is best regarding the BC pills, but let your DS decide about weaning. Even if there is very very little milk, he may enjoy the bonding time - I know mine did. Also, keep in mind that he's probably getting more than your pump is.

FWIW, I have low supply to begin with. I stopped pumping when DS was >2, and stopped taking domperidone (the only thing propping up my pittiful supply!) when DS was 2y8mos (I was trying to get my fertility back at that point!!)...he continued to nurse what droplets I had left until right before his 3rd birthday.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and regarding cycts, you *may* find that you don't have them anymore. I was very prone to them in my 20s...landed in the ER several times for golf-ball sized ovarian cysts. All my dr's have said that the "cure" is typically pregnancy. I've been pregnant, BFing, or both for the better part of 6 years, and have only had a handful of cycles in that time, so I'm hoping my battle with the cysts is over...