Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Fritchmom
Registered Users

What works for us is having my son sleep in his rock and play pulled next to the bed. This keeps him at an angle and no problem with reflux. When he wakes up I just lean over and lay him next to me to nurse. From there he may sleep with us the rest of the night or I put him back in the rock n play. Best of both and it has been my favorite purchase for baby so far.

Advertisement

Fritchmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #22
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotersonne
When I went for my WIC appointment, the lady gave me crap and a bunch of paperwork telling me that I have to start putting my LO in a crib at night. I don't know about her parenting habits, but my LO is two months old and sleeps with me every night. NOT ONCE has her life ever come into danger sleeping with me. She sleeps better at night now, and has not had any episodes with trouble breathing, like she would have in her bassinet and crib.

When we move, however, I'm planning on attaching the crib to the side of my bed just so she has more room to roll around (she's already started some rolling, and can scoot across the bed.) When I go back for my 3 month, I'm probably going to politely tell the lady to shove off, as when I talked to my peds & other doctors from the hospital, they were all on-board for co-sleeping.

I seriously hate that so many professionals are so uninformed. Everything I've read points to it being safer & better for baby to co-sleep than anything else.
We must go to the same WIC office. I have had some really bad experiences there:

I went home crying and afraid to eat after meeting with a nutritionist while I was still pregnant. She told me I was overweight and could only gain 7 more pounds or I would have to have a c-section because the baby would be too big to deliver.

The lady who tried to teach me about breastfeeding implied that formula would starve/poison my baby.

They never EVER remember that I speak English. I constantly am put in Spanish language groups and they leave voicemails in Spanish too.

They keep harassing me about some blood test I "had to do after giving birth" but they didn't do that kind of thing at my birth center.

They also super creepily watch me breastfeed when I haven't asked for their help.

I stopped going because I didn't want to deal with it. But my husband wants me to try again.

Combined with my sub-par pediatrics office I realized that I need to do my own research, form my own opinions, and stick to my guns. Screw everyone else, this is my baby.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sorry you're dealing with reflux! I co sleep because my babies start out refusing to sleep any other way, and sometimes cuz I'm just too tired. I don't like it, it makes me nervous, I don't sleep great and DH sleeps terrible, but for the first 1-3 months its the only way we get ANY sleep. Baby #3 is 7 weeks. I have a towel under one end of her cradle mattress to elevate it slightly, and she sleeps her first stretch in there swaddled, then unswaddle and in bed with me after first night feeding.

The apnea episodes are concerning regardless of sleeping arrangements. I wouldn't stress unless they give you trouble again. Good luck!!
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #24
rotersonne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bedsharing-kinda OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
We must go to the same WIC office. I have had some really bad experiences there:

I went home crying and afraid to eat after meeting with a nutritionist while I was still pregnant. She told me I was overweight and could only gain 7 more pounds or I would have to have a c-section because the baby would be too big to deliver.

The lady who tried to teach me about breastfeeding implied that formula would starve/poison my baby.

They never EVER remember that I speak English. I constantly am put in Spanish language groups and they leave voicemails in Spanish too.

They keep harassing me about some blood test I "had to do after giving birth" but they didn't do that kind of thing at my birth center.

They also super creepily watch me breastfeed when I haven't asked for their help.

I stopped going because I didn't want to deal with it. But my husband wants me to try again.

Combined with my sub-par pediatrics office I realized that I need to do my own research, form my own opinions, and stick to my guns. Screw everyone else, this is my baby.
Holy crap, that's awful! I don't understand why people feel the need to act so ignorant. I have to go for blood tests because I have hypothyroid, low progesterone levels, and to make sure my A1C is in check.

That's just... I don't even. The lady did stand around and waited for me to finish feeding my baby, and asked me to call the lactation consultant- even though I obviously had no trouble breastfeeding.

I don't think they should claim to be "professionals" when they act so ignorant & they're so creepy/rude.
rotersonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yikes! Im afraid to go to my WIC appointment! My doc was more forgiving at todays appointment. My lo is getting better with the Zantac and I tried having her sleep in her pack and play that has an inclined bassinet....nobody slept that night and she wouldnt nurse, stubborn girl.

Oh, the blood test at WIC is to chexk your iron after giving birth. Nothing major that they would have to get on you about. My office has ok women that work there, but I feel they are undereducated. Maybe any schmoe can work there....

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritchmom View Post
What works for us is having my son sleep in his rock and play pulled next to the bed. This keeps him at an angle and no problem with reflux. When he wakes up I just lean over and lay him next to me to nurse. From there he may sleep with us the rest of the night or I put him back in the rock n play. Best of both and it has been my favorite purchase for baby so far.
We have this and love it, too. The only way our newbie sleeps, but I am a little nervous because I read you have to be careful about it and flat head problems.

Also, WIC mamas-please take everything they tell you at the wic office with a grain of salt. I have been given factually incorrect nutrition information by my wic office several times. I have adopted a smile and nod approach.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Ashlynnray
Registered Users
seller

I would second looking into Dr. McKenna's info. It helped put me At ease big time. My LO is now 16 months and has spent EVERY single night of his life in our bed, all night. We all sleep better and I'm a huge proponent of it. Decreased SIDS rates (when done safely/correctly), stabilized temperatures, stable breathing patterns, and synchronized sleep cycles of mom and baby. Not to mention increased milk production and higher/longer success rates of breastfeeding. Plus many other emotional and health benefits. It was not a question for me. My Dr. is dead against it but I just nod and pretty much ignore what she has to say on that point. Doctors do not know what is best for your family 100% of the time. What works for some, might not work for you. Try inclined sleeping and keeping baby upright for 20-30 minutes after each feeding. Hope it gets better for you!
Ashlynnray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyike2011
Yikes! Im afraid to go to my WIC appointment!

My office has ok women that work there, but I feel they are undereducated. Maybe any schmoe can work there....

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
There are good WIC people, I promise you! I have a good friend who is a WIC dietician and lactation advisor and she is great. She helped me with BF'ing issues with DD, and then wanted to know everything when I was able to wean from the nipple shield so she could help others.

Re: any schmoe working there - they get paid like crap, so probably not pulling in the cream of the crop. My friend does have a BS in dietetics though, so I'd assume that's standard.

Hopefully you'll get someone good next time you're in!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #29
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I smile and nod.