Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chore or reward charts for 4 year old?

We use this Melissa and Doug board and it works wonders!! We have the older model but this one looks even better than the ones we have.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

We have one for each kiddo and their chores can change every week. We have a "Family Store" with items they can buy with magnets they earn. There are colored stars on each item which show them how many magnets needed to buy the item. This is the only thing I have found to improve behavior/compliance in our house and we stopped doing it for a couple weeks and it was awful.

Advertisement

Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chore or reward charts for 4 year old?

I saw the Accountable Kids co-op, which is the first time I've heard of that program! I went to the website to learn more, and opted to order the book right now (not through the co-op). I'm VERY excited to read the book, and I've already set my summer goal to have a chore system fully in place by the time school starts in the late summer.

My 8 1/2 year old will do his chores when he is asked (often with complaints and withheld privileges until they are completed), but I want him to take the initiative AND stop complaining. My almost 4-yo will usually do what I ask, but he almost always wants me to help him or be with him. I'm hoping the AK system (which I hope is explained in the book) will work to get them to realize what needs doing ON THEIR OWN without constant reminding from me. My 8 1/2 yo has ADHD, and I think I might have it too so constant reminding is not a good way for us to go. I also struggle with being consistent, with sticking to a schedule, and with remembering what I have already put into place. So this system is also for ME.

For a CHART, I really like some of the ideas I've seen on Pinterest. The things I want for the charts:

durable
dynamic
small/narrow "wallprint" (as opposed to a footprint LOL)
easy and fun for kids to use (my boys are 8 1/2 and almost 4)

Until I read the Accountable Kids book, I can't say for certain what the final charts will be. But what I think I want to do is have one chart for each boy. It will be something I sew to hang on the wall. Their name on top, then a pocket, then strips of fabric that they can attach "chore clothespins" to. I've seen the clothespin idea on Pinterest and I think it would work well for my kids. The pins are color-coded by the amount of TIME each chore should take. It's easy to remove/replace/create different pins for different things need doing.

I haven't decided if I want to write each chore on the pin itself, or just write numbers and then have a "Chore Key" where they can look to see what chore the number corresponds to. I'm not sure if that would be too complicated, but it might be better for my 4 yo who knows his letters/numbers but doesn't read (his chores could be pictures). I like that it would be easy to make different keys, either by week or by season, or as things change, but still use the same system without needed a massive amount of clothespins.

That's what i'm planning, in a nutshell I guess i'll post about it at the end of summer, when it's all in place. I'm really excited about this. I always wanted my mom to do something like a chore system when I was a kid, but it never happened.

http://www.babble.com/home/15-of-the...s/#clothespins

Last edited by boysniris; 05-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote