Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
All my kids have had lovies, except for dd. They were AMAZING for encouraging independent sleeping. My older two had binkies and blankies. Ds1 just gave me his blankie about two years ago, he's 10. Ds2 still has a blankie but it stays in bed only, he is 7 and with sensory needs, so the smell of the blankie in his bed important for him. Ds3 is 5 and we are having issue with this right now. He is a thumbsucker and his blankie encourages that (they go together 100%). I'd like to ditch it soon but we need to transition from taking it all over (except school and church) to only in bed, then not at all.

Now, dd is like your dd. Its hard! I've tried to introduce lovies for nearly her whole life and she JUST recently took to an upcycle I made from a couch throw with tassles that she would run behind me when we nursed on the couch. Problem is that when she has the blankie, she wants to nurse (and vice versa). I can comfort her to some extent without nursing but it only goes so far.

I think it's important to set boundaries with them for sure. But it's also important to remember that some children have a stronger emotional attachment/more need for emotional fulfillment than others. And that is okay too. Maybe takin her to shop for a special lovey? The stuffie aisle at the toy store for example, what does she draw to? Then play it up! Include the friend in her play (tea parties, bug finding, book reading, boo boo kissing) and I bet she will be more apt to accept it.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Didn't read all of the replys but ds didn't take a lovey until he was over 1 and its made life easier. He's nearly 5 and still loves it.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We've never done lovey but when I night weaned dd1 I slept in another room for a couple weeks. No boob around made it very easy.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thoughts on loveys?

I was thinking about this again......from a child's perspective......

I had a string of stuffed animal loveys as a child...lambie, then monkey #1(he got left behind) monkey #2......monkey #1 was mailed to us...so back to him, then curious George and then a stuffed my little pony(which I still have....brought over from Ireland to the US with me!- he's with the kids stuff).

They REALLY helped me emotionally through those years of toddler/preschool until about age 6/7. My parents had split up when I was 4, I was devastated, cried through my first year of school....thank goodness I had the sweetest teacher ever and she looked out for me through all of my early year schooling. Amazing memories of her and her kindness to our family.

I just know the loveys helped me a lot as there were a lot of sad times back then. So from a childs perspective they can be very helpful during upset times.....not as dramatic as parents splitting up but obviously being away from mommy is upsetting to your LO OP.

All but my oldest were very clingy and cry when I ever leave them for the store etc. I still do the sneak out of the house thing with LO....probably not the "right" thing to do, but works for us. I don't see the need to upset him if not necessary. I'm talking about a short trip to the store or school.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #25
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't remember having a lovey until I was three or so.

I was hospitalized for a horrible asthma attack and my sweet grandma brought me this stuffed dog named Wrinkles. He was my best friend forever, I slept with him until I went to college, he came with me but was in the closet or just on my bed. I still have Wrinkles in the kids toys and i still love him, he reminds me of my grandma.

My point, kids can take to them at different times and the attachment may vary. Ds1 still sleeps with bear but that is the extent. Ds2 used to suck on the face if his stinky dog ( hence the name stinky dog), he doesn't anymore but throughout the day he ll grab stinky and rub his face into his and get a good smell or something, it's pretty hilarious really. Dd loves her lovies and will ask for them but its usually not a melt down if we can't get it right away.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree that introducing a lovey would be a good idea...or maybe a sippy during the day while you snuggle? Good luck, mama!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Mamas, I think I shall get her something.
I would prefer something smaller than a blanket, or if I used a blanket maybe a newborn sized flannel one?
I see those square mini blankets with the animal heads attached to them everywhere. My older boys have two, but aren't actually attached to them.
What would you suggest?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son has a obv square blanket by my beautiful girl on etsy. It's about 12x12. That was his first one he took too. We then got a bigger one from Takara Baby. He interchanges but prefers the big. But the small is good as it clips on to stroller etc if you do decide to take it out. We only did this when younger.

mybeautiful girl doesn't have much in stock though....http://www.etsy.com/shop/MyBeautiful...ion_id=5916683

http://www.takarababy.com/category_41/Loveys.htm

^^^not sure about takara....last I heard she was closed, but then I thought I saw a thread that she was open again. She is also here in the wahm section. Great stuff I got from her.

I did get him another, just because it was too cute, but he didn't take to it(age 3 xmas gift) by alskar with bunny ears. Too cute. She is here on DS under wahms. You could resell this if not taken too....

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11390715...op_home_active

I hear good things about tickety boo also

http://www.etsy.com/listing/12935540...op_home_active

Obviously he likes the obv thing.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just wanted to share my 2cents

I have 4 kids. None so far had a lovey until around 3. Like you I nurse on demand and sometimes feel like I nurse all day and night.

They are all different, with different personalities. She just may need you more than your boys did at this age. It's ok that that's the case and she will self sooth someday soon.

Some perspective on my older 2 who have weaned. I am still nursing the younger 2. You don't have to teach independence. They will branch out on their own when secure and comfortable. Right now you and nursing can fix almost any problem.

It feels all consuming now but someday you will miss being able to just sit and nurse. It really is such a short period of time in the long term of things.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #30
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son took to a lovey at about 11 months or so (maybe a bit before) and kept using it as a comfort item until he was 3. His levies were Little Taggies blankets. At 12x12, they were easy enough to clip to the stroller or Ergo when we were out and about. He had one that he preferred, but we had a backup in a slightly different pattern in case his favourite was in the wash. Might be something you want to look into.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote