Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Planning to move to Maryland

What are some safe, affordable (cheap, lol) areas with good schools? Also, we are a 2 mom family, so we want to be in a more liberal area. DP currently works in a call center (8 yrs) and is well paid and in a good position. She is planning to apply to be a state trooper but if that doesn't work out, are there any good call centers (inbound) she should check into? Any advice is welcome! We have never lived anywhere but this small town in south8ern VA, so this move will be huge for us!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
KaraP
Registered Users

Re: Planning to move to Maryland

Hi there! I've lived in MD all my life..what part of the state were you focusing on? First thing to know..there's a mini bible belt in the Western part of the state..and while it's more affordable to live there, I don't think it's as liberal as you would want. The more liberal areas are those around DC and Baltimore, but they are more expensive. I don't know much about the suburbs around Baltimore, so I can't speak for them. Are you looking for suburbs or city life?
KaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
KaraP
Registered Users

I also wanted to add that in general, Maryland is an expensive place to live..if you want to see how expensive, check out the housing prices across the border in Southern PA (York, Hanover, Gettysburg) and compare the prices. It's insane.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We live in Harford County MD. The other places we have lived were Missoula MT and Linwood NJ so we find our town (Bel Air) to be moderately priced. There is a call center in White Marsh for Comcast is that what you mean? Also, the 911 call center EOC is local to Bel Air. My aunt and sister have both worked there. In Harford County the better schools are away from the route 40 corridor. If you have any questions about Harford County please fell free to pm. I have lived the majority of my life here.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maryland is fairly expensive. Around DC is more liberal, but has a much higher COL. If your DP joins MSP she can be sent to any barrack in the state, so idk if you would want to buy a house or rent since her commute could be 3+ hours each way, depending on where she is sent. Also, the application process is fairly long for MSP (although it may be much shorter for her since they always need females). I live on the eastern shore of MD. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
traderbren
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm in Harford County too, and the schools in the north part are good. I definitely agree with MDever about avoiding route 40 corridor. The COL is high here as others have said. Depending on your desired area, PA could be an option. Feel free to PM me if you have ?'s - I have also lived here all my life.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Yes, in our research have learned about the high COL in MD so we are a bit worried about that. We have been looking all over the state and found the western side, eastern shore, and right around Baltimore to be the most affordable. What areas should we avoid there? We are really interested in the eastern shore. We did research PA a bit but can't risk getting sent to the north end of the state. Our older boys have a dad and will need to visit regularly, so we need to be within a reasonable distance of where we are now. We also started researching Delaware but Wilmington scared DP away from that really quick, lol.

Last edited by SPJ&E; 05-19-2013 at 06:49 AM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Grr...double post again!

Last edited by SPJ&E; 05-19-2013 at 06:47 AM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
KaraP
Registered Users

Frederick has a liberal downtown area and is a larger town both close to Baltimore and DC. The Eastern Shore's COL is cheaper, and I love it over there, but there's a lot of smaller towns..I don't know how liberal those are. Plus, if your DP is stationed on the other side of the bridge, that may not be something you want to contend with.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
vstewart
Registered Users

The Eastern Shore is not a bad area, I have friends who live in Kent Island; it's right over the bay bridge and short drive from Baltimore. Western MD is kind of remote the further you go out, anything past Frederick. Right around Baltimore is where you'll get iffy. I live East of the City, on the water. It's nice and not expensive. West of the city, I would focus on Owings Mills or Reisterstown, but they are pricey. South of the city is Howard County area, that's pricey but nice. And North of the city is nice. If you want any more specific Baltimore info I can let you know, I grew up in various parts around the city.

As other mamas mentioned, Harford County is really nice and that is north of the city up interstate 95.
vstewart is offline   Reply With Quote