Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bringing home baby 3 - your postpartum survival tips

In October we'll be bringing home our third baby. My DH has about a week off, and then I'll be on my own *gulp*. At that point I'll have a 5 yo DS and a 2.5 yo DD. Both are potty trained and able to sit quietly together long enough for me to take a shower (our house is tiny and I can see/hear them from the shower).

Any tips that you've heard on helping make those first few weeks home come together? I'm thinking specifically about logistical sorts of tips (frozen meals, easy snack ideas for kids, skills I should teach them beforehand, favorite infant gear that helped you, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For me having frozen meals saved me when #3 was born, I would have been so overwhelmed during dinner time without them. I feel like that is witching hour for everyone and if kiddos aren't fed they get cranky and life spins out of control fast. My kids were almost the exact same age when dd was born.

Eta: a sleepy wrap was the key for me (now called the boba wrap), dd didn't like the swing or bouncer seat, she wanted to be next to me and I didn't feel like she had a good for in the ergo or ringsling, when she was about 4 weeks I got a sleepy wrap and life improved ten fold! And if you go that route, choose the boba over the moby, you can wrap the boba TIGHT on your body and then slip baby into it and its s good secure fit.
5 angels in my heart always

Last edited by smblake; 05-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smblake
For me having frozen meals saved me when #3 was born, I would have been so overwhelmed during dinner time without them. I feel like that is witching hour for everyone and if kiddos aren't fed they get cranky and life spins out of control fast. My kids were almost the exact same age when dd was born.

Eta: a sleepy wrap was the key for me (now called the boba wrap), dd didn't like the swing or bouncer seat, she wanted to be next to me and I didn't feel like she had a good for in the ergo or ringsling, when she was about 4 weeks I got a sleepy wrap and life improved ten fold! And if you go that route, choose the boba over the moby, you can wrap the boba TIGHT on your body and then slip baby into it and its s good secure fit.
Thanks for the tip on the moby/boba. I had a moby for my oldest two and had mixed feelings about it. It felt too stretchy. And like I had to re-wrap it every time I wanted to take baby out for something.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Moby or other wrap. Baby will sleep happily while you do anything

Freezer meals, easy snacks.... also will depend on baby's temperament. Be gentle with expectations for yourself and your kids!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Subbing! We're expecting #3 also and I really need to prepare for the change............. Thx on the boba info! I didn't like our moby either

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Bringing home baby 3 - your postpartum survival tips

Since life continued to move forward, despite being overwhelmed by it, I would set one goal every single day. Just one, usually small. Little stuff like: put gas in the car, move around one load of laundry, cut up carrot sticks. In other words, I never would have planned a multi-stop errand or hosted a dinner party or anything. Just survival, one day, one item at a time. But I accomplished things, too. And being able to accomplish things in the face of adversity is motivating. The kids watched a TON of TV for awhile there, too, even though DS was super easy. For once I got an easy baby. lol
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Use a calendar.
Organize anything you can ahead of time, including getting rid of or packing away excess stuff that you won't have time to take care of for a while (like half the kid's toys! Especially because when they become bored, you have a few toys that can hide away and a few they haven't seen for a while.)
Try to set up a loose "routine"/daily expectation. Keep in mind that babies have a way of preventing lists from being crossed off, but a generalized and open PLAN on how to attack each day/every day/expectations will help you feel like you are in control and keep things running smoother, you are less likely to forget things!
Plan ahead. This goes along with above. Meals, laundry, vacuuming, dishes, pets and plants, groceries, special time with each child, and Mama Pamper Moments. HOW will these be accomplished, WHO will do them, and WHEN will they get done? This prevents the last minute "omgweareoutofdiapers" or "that was today?!"
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I fourth the frozen/easy meals. I also heart my crockpot for similar reasons. Be ok with doing things you normally wouldn't do as you transition. I'm talking things like extra screen time, nap time for everyone, prepackaged snacks, using sposies, etc.

If newbie likes a swing or bouncy seat, use it with wild abandon.

For my family, keeping a loose routine helps immensely. It seems like the ages you mentioned would really thrive from a consistent routine in the midst of a new sibling. Will you eldest be in school? That really helped me stick to a routine. I had a 1st grader and a 15 month old when number 3 came along. Having to get up to get my eldest ready really helped me to establish a routine. At first I was getting him ready, throwing some clothes on, and then dragging the little ones out the door. I got better and managed to get all 4 of us ready on a regular basis. Then I was ready for the day and could hit the grocery store on the way home from dropping him off.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would stock up on about 10 new children's dvds. There will tons of time that you just need some quiet time to either put the baby to sleep or even just sit very quietly all by yourself.
My kids like the older Angelina Ballerina, Charlie and Lola, Bob the Builder, Martha speaks, Thomas the train, Curious George and the Kratt Brothers.
If you get the dvds from the kids shows you can chose between one 15 min how of several. You can go for mainly educational shows too.

Will your older ds be in school?
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycat42
I would stock up on about 10 new children's dvds. There will tons of time that you just need some quiet time to either put the baby to sleep or even just sit very quietly all by yourself.
My kids like the older Angelina Ballerina, Charlie and Lola, Bob the Builder, Martha speaks, Thomas the train, Curious George and the Kratt Brothers.
If you get the dvds from the kids shows you can chose between one 15 min how of several. You can go for mainly educational shows too.

Will your older ds be in school?
Agreed. Netflix saved my sanity. $7.99 a month well spent. We stream constantly--rarely watch TV live anymore.

Get a bunch of Mac and Cheese, meatballs, frozen steam in bag veggies, and simple dinners. Dinner is an adventure.

Remember the chaos is temporary...for the next 10years. Lol.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote