Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Tambelina
Registered Users
seller

Wool questions

I'm thinking about getting some wool covers for overnights, but I'm wondering if all wool is created equal or if some are better than others. I'm wondering because I found some cheap ones on ebay and some more expensive ones on another site, but I don't know which ones to get when/if I order. Is wool just wool or should I be picky?

Here are the cheap ones: http://stores.ebay.com/newsosimplenatural

Here are the more expensive ones: http://www.llamajama.com/category_4/2/Wool-Soakers.htm

Any other ones you would recommend?

Also, how many would I reasonably need for one baby if only used at night? I've heard you don't have to wash them every single day, but that sounds kind of weird. You can really pee in this thing several times without having to wash it?

Advertisement

Tambelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wool questions

Well the ones on ebay are upcycled and the 2nd ones listed are hand knit. So considerable difference in time and materials to produce is why you see the price difference. As to which works better I think it will depend on your child and your personal preference. I have had great success with double layered upcycled wool but then again I have had some that was really rough. It's certainy worth a try at those prices. I personally prefer interlock and hand knit. Disana are machine knit but a good option on the lower price range.

No you do not have to wash wool that often provided it has some lanolin content. When the lanolin reacts with the urine it sort of cleans itself. Obviously if it has poop or dirt/mud, food etc. on it then it would need to be cleaned. But nights alone then we can certainly go 3ish weeks without "washing". Hang it up in the morning to dry. If it starts to smell then you know you need to re-lanolize. If for nights only I think 2 would be sufficient.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wool isn't a cheap material in general, but if it's recycled it will be cheaper. Interlock is pricy but works great.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

all wool is NOT created equal. you'll find a wide range in both price, construction & quality.

fwiw I would not trust either of those for night. my boy at night needs a double layer machine knit like this one http://www.kissaluvs.com/wool_diaper_covers.php
I've also used Disana (a cheaper option), but it was not as soft & had to be felted before it would work
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Tambelina
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, everyone!
Tambelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just noticed how many you need for just night use & you just need 2. I to use most of the time (a nice more $$ one maybe) & one to use when that one is drying after being washed (a cheaper one maybe?). There have been sizes where I couldn't find a Kissaluv one used so I had 1 Kissaluv & 1 felted Disana for back up.