Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

The AMA thread...

I know we've had at least one of these before, but I can't find it. I know experiences vary, but if you left AMA after birth what was your experience? How soon afterwards did you leave? Is it true that your insurance won't cover certain things if you leave AMA and problems come up? Bonus points if you've done this at Queen's or Kap on Oahu. I know it's not a big deal at Castle.

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The AMA thread...

I'm not too much help as I kinda like staying in the hossy afterbirth My OB and ped. would give me grief if I did go AMA. FWIW I deliver at Kapiolani. Can you call your insurance company and inquire about their policy?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did you like Kapiolani? How was your experience? Where you able to have more than one support person? (I'm hearing mixed things about this) Did they take the baby out of the room for observation and bathing? I gave birth at Queens last time and would prefer to go back there but my OB is now only delivering at Kap. She only decided that after I was pregnant and I'm panicking a bit. (Okay maybe a lot..) I want to deliver in a hospital but I really hated staying there afterwards. The whole not being able to sleep with DH, nurses coming in and waking us up, not being able to eat when ever, all that stuff. I'd like to just leave after 3-6 hours.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

AMA? I thought that meant advanced maternal age LOL.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not from Hawaii, but when I had my daughter I just told them I needed to leave that day...it was for insurance purposes (insurance plan changed the next day and wasn't as good, lol). They didn't give me any grief about it and just told me they would do the discharge papers after both Drs gave us the green light. I had my dd at 10:40pm, so we slept and the Drs checked on us during their rounds the next day and said we could leave.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
ktktbird
Registered Users

My Mood:
I wish we had left AMA with our first. The dr's told us we could leave in the morning so we were all ready to go but the dr's didn't get to the paperwork until 6 pm!! I just didn't know we could leave!
ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

It will really depend on the insurance you carry. Some insurance plans will not cover complications if you previously left AMA. You would have to ask the insurance company their policy.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I worked in customer service at BCBS of IL, I had many calls where people (not just postpartum mothers) would ask this question.

In general, if you leave AMA and develop complications BECAUSE you left AMA, treatment for those complications could be denied. We would request records pertaining to your original stay and any subsequent treatments you had.

I never personally heard of a case where we reviewed anything but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner View Post
AMA? I thought that meant advanced maternal age LOL.
Against Medical Advice/Advisement something of the like lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

also if you are worried about the baby being taken simply refuse. Demand that they bring the baby to room in and if they get too grumpy demand to speak with the hospital admin. I never they them bathe my baby and the only time my baby was in the nursery was if I asked them or they had to do their daily vitals etc, which took about an hour and usually just gave me enough time to get a shower and change clothes.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote