Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post

Maybe I'm worrying too much. The lactation nurse just keeps pushing early weaning and formula so it makes me panicky. You're doctor doesn't give you a hard time about your children's weight? Maybe it's just because my son was such a big baby, but he was put on formula at four months by the doctor. I really like our pediatricians office for most things, but I get the sense that they would like me to start weaning and be done breastfeeding at a year. I feel kind of robbed of my breastfeeding experience with my son so I think that's why I'm so worried about it. I don't want to "fail" this time. Thank you for sharing your children's weights with me. I'm beginning to feel better that maybe she's just a smaller baby. I've been trying to get over the thinking that a fat baby is a healthy baby. Not that fat babies aren't healthy, just that healthy babies come in all sizes.
Oh I had a Dr make a big deal about ds2 weight, wanted me to bring him in for weekly weigh ins. That was the last well visit I ever went to. Most Drs just don't understand wright and bf babies. But a lactation consultant you think would know better.

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #42
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

Oh I had a Dr make a big deal about ds2 weight, wanted me to bring him in for weekly weigh ins. That was the last well visit I ever went to. Most Drs just don't understand wright and bf babies. But a lactation consultant you think would know better.
I'm not sure what their LC's qualifications are. They call her a lactation nurse. I only know that she's nursed 4 children. I think she's been really sick too because she's been wearing a bad wig for the last year so its hard to get too mad at her. But look here's a picture of my LO that I took tonight modeling her new bow. Her thighs don't like like they're starving to me. She was 10 months on June 30th. Her face and tummy aren't as full as they were, but I don't think she looks sickly. Her color is good and she doesn't really cry a lot. She's gone from the 75th to the 50th and now the 34th percentile, but she's crawling and saying mama, daddy & hi. She waves and claps and cruises around. Any day now she's going to figure out how to stand up in the middle of the floor. She really likes pushing toy trucks around and She'll follow simple one step directions sometimes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-465010675.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	147615

I know her ribs are showing, but I think that's just from how her arms are. When her arms are down or she's laying on her back I can't count her ribs like that.

Last edited by MandaMommy2; 07-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #43
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
She is perfect!! Plump and perfect! Keep doing what you have been doing. It's obviously working
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply Issues? Baby's not gaining well:(

What a cutie. Looks well within normal 10mo range.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #45
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7
She is perfect!! Plump and perfect! Keep doing what you have been doing. It's obviously working
Thank you
Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #46
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy
What a cutie. Looks well within normal 10mo range.
Thank you. I'm glad
Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #47
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supply Issues? Baby's not gaining well:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post

Honestly, I beleive that you become an expert on your child; you are your childs doctor and nurse and you know them a lot better than someone who sees them a few minutes a month. Just be sure your child is reasonably reaching the milestones she should and then do what feels right for you and works for baby. If the doctor/nurse needs to hear that you're giving formula or whole milk or whatever to not harass your decisions, tell them you are and go on your merry way.

What do they really know about breastfeeding or even nutrition in general? Very, very little. 8 years of college to be a doctor and only a few hours are dedicated to basic (government/corporate sponsored sham of nutrition) nutrition and fewer to breastfeeding. Spend a little time researching Weston A Price and you'll be far more of an expert on nutrition than any MD.
No kidding! I can't tell you how many times I have spent my time (and money!) educating a HCP in the area of allergy or nutrition. With my first who had a chronic rash he prescribed a cream...I decided to switch detergents and baby lotion to fragrance free and voila! no more rash. Told the ped next time and he was like, "Huh. I've never thought of that." that was nearly 18 years ago and we are so over doctors after a million other similar experiences that I don't go to them unless I am really stumped or I just don't have the ability to deal with it myself - stitches, antibiotics, etc. Or pregnancy.

OP your daughter is beautiful. I think you can see most baby's ribs a bit unless they are super chunkers! Keep working toward getting that nutrient dense food in her. A tsp of coconut oil mashed with a banana tastes nice. I never gave it straight. I don't even think *I* could handle that. Fruits and veggies are great, but don't forget meats and egg yolks. A baby food grinder is super helpful!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote