Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ultrasound happy ob?

I started out my last pregnancy in Michigan and never had an ultrasound. At 13 weeks I moved to Texas, saw my new ob at 17 weeks and had an ultrasound that day. So first she discovered my placenta previa. At my next appointment I failed my dang glucose test. After that I had an ultrasound every week.

I always assumed it was because of the complications. But I just made my first prenatal appt for this pregnancy and the receptionist insisted I had to have an ultrasound for dating purposes even though I told her I know when I ovulated (why my Michigan ob didn't do that initial ultrasound).

Are there just some ultrasound happy doctors out there??

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ultrasound happy ob?

With my last I had maybe 8? I had placenta previa that FINALLY resolved. We had a couple early on because we couldn't find the heart beat. I think a dating u/s is pretty normal. It is most accurate the earlier it is done.

With this pregnancy I have already had 3 and I'm barely 7 wks. I was told to expect one once a month at least from here out, but I have complications. I look at it as the doctor's covering their butts. I like to view it as an extra chance to see my bean We max out our deductible during pregnancy anyways, so I don't worry about it too much.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Lots of OBs will now do a dating ultrasound at the initial appointment or one soon after, just to be sure. I am sure they have plenty of women come in just positive they know exactly when they conceived, and find out they were wrong. But in a lot of cases, it's that one, the anatomy scan halfway through and that's it unless there are problems.

But if its the same OB, I could be that they have looked at your previous history and want to be cautious to start as well.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have always had lots of ultrasounds but that is because my first pregnancy was a loss and was triplets.

Because I had the triplets SOO early (24 weeks gestation) I can tell you that I think it is probably wise for them to do at least a dating ultrasound. I saw many times (as I was all but living in the NICU with by baby) that they thought they were going to get a __ weeker, only to get one WAY too large for that gestation, or way to small. This may seem like a small thing but in a situation like that, it is beneficial to know exactly how old the baby is to do effective treatment on the baby. You may not do EVERYTHING every time, the child's needs do come in to play, but having a rough idea is always a good thing.

Also in this age of not allowing a baby to go past 42 weeks, they need to know when the baby was concieved for that reason.

Ultimately though, it is because we live in a VERY sue happy world right now and everything having to do with babies is under a microscope. The other day I had to get an MRI because my OB was afraid of the cancer I had 3 years ago. To get said MRI I had to sign something saying I know I was pregnant and that there is a VERY tiny risk to the baby from said MRI. The next day I saw my Peri (not OB) and he laughed at the idea that the MRI could harm my child. I know the OB and the Peri well but this was all to save the OB because there is a theoretical risk that if my OB did the c-section and didn't see any cancer, that I could theoretically sue her if it turns out I had cancer at the time of my c-section! So I could see why she would want me to have the MRI. BTW My oncologist was laughing at all of this. Oh and I am still in remission!

Honestly until we stop suing over EVERY LITTLE THING we are going to have to have more tests then we really need. However that is a whole other thread.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely think some OB's are very ultrasound happy! I have friends with different doctors who get multiple but I only had 1 with DS and 2 with DD. Just had one with this baby today and probably won't have another. My OB has never even mentioned another one to me in my previous pregnancies. I don't mind...I wouldn't feel comfortable having a ton unless I knew it was really necessary. Funny thing though, same OB sent my BFF to have probably 5 extra ultrasounds after the initial one because he thought her baby was measuring small. She was never off by more than a week or so on the ultrasounds and baby was like 8lb at birth.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've only ever had one at initial visit for dating and then the anatomy scan around 20wks. With child 4 I had them monthly for 4 months because she could never find the heartbeat with the Doppler. With my last I had one around 35/36wks because I was consistently measuring 5 weeks bigger since 28/30wks. I had a ton of amniotic fluid and ended up having a 10#9oz baby.
Typically there's only 2 here and I live in Tx. It could just be your OB.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would assume it's caution on the OB's part...you have a greater chance of placenta previa in subsequent pregnancies if you've had it before.

As for the dating ultrasound, it's become a pretty common practice here. I actually find that a lot of things have changed since DP was pg w/ DD 3.5 yrs ago, even in the same practice. I had an early 1hr test, they REALLY push the genetic testing now, and while I get frequent u/s b/c of multiples, complications, & AMA, they started trying 3D u/s at the beginning of the 2nd tri.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was surprised at the 8 week dating ultrasound, but my OB told me that even though many people think they know when they ovulate, there are so many more wrong people than there are correct people, so they do them with everyone. Then if something happens later on, they know pretty exactly how far along you are so they can care as needed without the guesswork.

I had another at 12 weeks, and then 20.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
I was surprised at the 8 week dating ultrasound, but my OB told me that even though many people think they know when they ovulate, there are so many more wrong people than there are correct people, so they do them with everyone. Then if something happens later on, they know pretty exactly how far along you are so they can care as needed without the guesswork.

I had another at 12 weeks, and then 20.
This. I had a dating u/s and was told it's done no matter what.

I have no complications, so I just have the dating, 12wk nuchal and 20wk anatomy.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my first we did an 8 week one. They didn't call it a dating one but I bet it was. We also did the 20 week one. Then I switch to a midwife practice. They only one they did with my first is after my water started leaking they wanted to verify baby was head down.

With #2 we started at the midwife practice. Because of pains I was having they had me do one at 6 weeks just to verify it wasn't eptopic. They did the date via a formula and they said I could use the ultra sound date if I preferred. They "offered" me the 20 weeks one, so I guess I could have declined it. I found it interesting. Haven't gone to that one yet.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote