Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

plug and bloody show, now what? - UPDATE w/pics

i was hoping for some anecdotal evidence to boost my confidence that im going to have a baby sometime soon. i have no experience with spontaneous labor as i induced at home with castor oil with both my previous kiddos. i have also never had bloody show before this time, nor any trace of plug that i have noticed--DD was a rocket fast labor and DS was a waterbirth. (there was a lot of stuff in that pool when he was born, but i didnt inspect it.)

my plan was to wake up friday morning and drink castor oil yet again, but instead when i woke late thurs night/fri morning i had bloody show which actually freaked me out at first. it was dark reddish to red, and quite a bit of it. when i called my midwife, she told me that i might go into labor on my own for once, and we should give it through the weekend. i wanted to do this, too! this is my last baby, and surely my body doesnt need castor oil every time!! (with my first a hospital induction was looming bc i had an OB, with my second i had endured days of sleepless prodromal labor and was done. both were 41w1d)

all through this weekend ive had mucus tinged with blood streaks, and i truly expected to have something to show for it by now. :/

everything ive read says those signs can come hours to days ahead of time. it has been hours and days! how long did it take you after you lost your plug and/or had bloody show??

Advertisement

Last edited by nettepoet; 06-11-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: SHE WAS BORN! FINALLY! scroll down for pics :)
nettepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Well, with #3 I lost my plug when my water broke at home. Baby showed up about 6 hours later.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: plug and bloody show, now what?

Sorry no help, mine came after being in labor (at home) for 15 or so hours, I was about 5cm dilated.

It did freak me out though, I went to the birth center after it happened.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forget what my midwife said about it. I want to say that it could be up to a week after bloody show, but I don't know if that's accurate. My pregnant mind tends to just pop things in willy nilly.

You can try some other natural methods to help speed things along wihtout resorting to castor oil. Nipple manipulation is one tried and true and scientifically proven method. The stimulation causes the release of oxytocin, which can get your labor started. You really have to work them, though, like have DH do some serious foreplay, use a breastpump, or nurse if you're still nursing.

Having sex can help too, since your orgasm can cause contractions, and the prostaglandins in DH's ejaculate can soften the cervix.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

I lost my plug, had bloody show with it, didn't have him for another 2.5 weeks.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With #1 I lost my plug throughout the day on a Saturday & she arrived @ 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday. I would wait it out. You're 41 + 3 so the end is very near. If its your last one you won't be sorry.

leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
amf78
Registered Users
seller

With DS#2 I started losing my mucous plug almost 2 weeks before he was born.

Baby Boy #3 EDD 1/14/15
amf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I began losing my plug about 2 weeks before I delivered DS. I had bloody show when active labor started, which was about 24 hours before I delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

thanks for the advice, mamas.

my little girl, asha renee was born at 12:32am this morning at home, weighing 7 lbs 12 oz (my smallest little one!), 20.5" long with a whopper of a head. labor was 6.5 hrs long with a very trying pushing stage (i didnt want to do it!!), and a tens unit was my saving grace.

rocking the swaddlebees simplex

my awesome midwife, pam, checks her out!

my little lovie!

<3
Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Congrats sweetie!

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***