Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
mommyofhjm
Registered Users

Bread recipes

Does anyone have any good recipes for bread made by hand? I don't have a bread maker or anything but I want to try making bread. Is it cheaper to make then to buy?

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bread recipes

There are a bunch of yummy no knead recipes online. It is cheaper than buying bread of that same quality. We make ours and it's really simple, I use bread flour, salt, yeast, water and bake in a dutch oven. Since it's getting hot now I bake it first thing in the morning and it sits on the counter the night before prior to baking.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

What type of bread are you looking for, and do you have a stand mixer?

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://ivoryhut.com/2010/01/baking-bread-made-easy/

This! I just recently started baking our bread. This is sooooo easy. My first batch was so-so, but my second batch was delicious!

I did sort of knead the chunks of dough just to shape it nicely with some flour before letting it rest (prior to baking). Also, instead of doing the broiler pan with water (we don't have one) I saw somewhere else online where a woman spritzed the loaf with water and then covered the loaf with a disposable lasagna pan for the first 10-15 minutes it was in the oven. I did that for my second batch and it was great.

This recipe is very basic, so you can add whatever you want to it. So far I've only done regular loaves and then one loaf of jalapeno & cheddar bread. I have a batch started right now and I'm baking two loaves tonight (regular and the jalapeno/cheddar).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/English-Muffin-Bread/ This is super simple and delicious bread. I can't eat it anymore (because of the gluten) but the boys are crazy for it. I don't bother with the cornmeal, didn't think it was that good with it. It can be done whole wheat or whole wheat white but it is a bit heavier in whole wheat

http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-whol...n-bread-120761
This is a favorite of Kearnan's. I always liked it too but it is not really a sandwich bread. Mostly the boys eat it for breakfast with a bit of jam or butter (Tharen likes peanut butter on it).

I used to have another whole wheat recipe but I'm not sure what happened to it. It was probably printed out. I didn't find it too hard to knead the bread, my biggest problem was undercooking it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is a great one loaf recipe:

http://breadbaking.about.com/od/yeas...1loafbread.htm

Easy and fast in a stand mixer. I have done the second rise overnight in the fridge, and also made rolls instead of a loaf. I like that its only one loaf bc we would never eat two fast enough.

I tend to gravitate toward artisan organic yadda yadda when i buy bread.. So this is DEFINITELY cheaper :-)