Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me about your comparison of water birth vs non water birth!

I would say that in my experience, the ring of fire was less in water. Still there, but not as intense/burning feeling. I still remember yelling "OWW!!! GET IT OUT GET IT OUT!" but it wasn't the "OH MY GOODNESS I CAN'T PUSH THAT HURTS TOO MUCH!" feeling. And with my last baby, born in the water, I don't remember the ring of fire at all, to be honest. I just remember pushing, feeling a LOT of pressure, and being told, "OK, there's her head, one more push and she'll be out." And the tear rate in water is a fair bit lower.

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
I just had dd3 Sat am (6-15-13) in the water......it seemed like it was a partial ring....like the top of the hooha was on fire, then the bottom area. Weird huh? I dont remember if I felt that with dd2. Dd1, I was so numb from the epi I felt nothing.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the water helped a lot. At the time I don't remember feeling like it was, but looking back, I was definitely in more pain when I wasn't in the water. I got an episiotomy with my DS who was 7lbs3oz born on the bed, and no tearing or anything with my DD 8lbs13oz born in water. I had a hospital waterbirth with my midwife.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my first, so I have no personal experience, so I'm loving everyone sharing how it went! From what I can tell, most women find it much easier to labor with water than without, but some just can't stand it.

My midwife had her second at home, and they had a birth tub set up. She got in for just a few minutes, but she said she just felt gross & had to get out. She said be prepared for anything in labor because you never know what is going to feel good in the moment.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
mella1922
Registered Users
seller

Oh my gosh, after having #3 last night (6/18/13) and not making it to the tub in time, hands down, the water helps so much during pushing! It felt like so much more pressure and so much more intense than my two water births did. She just came too quickly, the tub wasn't warm enough, and I couldn't move once I started pushing!
mella1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I had four dry land births, and then #5 was a home waterbirth. I have to say that for comfort and pain management, being in the water was fantastic. I was just getting to that point where I felt like I couldn't handle any more when I got in the pool. I had immediate relief, and did not ever again feel like I couldn't deal with the pain. I had no tearing, and I do think that the water helped to minimize the ring of fire feeling. I still had the "get this thing out of me RIGHT NOW" sensation, but not so much the intense fire I'd felt with my earlier births. I am planning another water birth with this baby, so I guess I'll see how this one compares.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had 3 land births and 1 water. The water was way better for me. It helped so much with the pain and it was the only birth I didn't tear for
Earthmama97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok I want a water birth now, and I didn't even think DS birth was that bad. I SO didn't want to get out of the tub with DS but my water broke as we transitioned into the pushing stage and there was too much meconium -- from the birth center to the hospital we went (just wheeled over in wheel chair). I do believe it was meant to be, but I would have loved to stay in the tub.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great thread. I labored in the water with both of mine and couldn't have done it without it. But I'm thinking about delivering in the water this time, should that be what feels right at the time. Glad to hear so many positive stories!
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

My first was a lands birth. My last two were waterbirths. I will NEVER birth out of water again!!!! pushing was easier and faster and babies were WAY calmer. All were homebirths too so that was the same factor. Planning another waterbirth in December!
KaliShanti is offline   Reply With Quote