Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I had my anatomy scan yesterday (finally) and while everything else looked great, baby girl was low on the weight. She's 1 lb 9 oz and they said that's 13th percentile..I have an appt with my ob next week and a follow up scan in 4 weeks, but meanwhile am getting a little worried. My first baby was small

Update 7/17:
Had my growth scan today and baby was up to the 17th percentile. But her arm and leg bones were only measuring in the 5th percentile so I go back for another growth scan in 3 weeks. And my fluid level was elevated..right around 25 at about 29 weeks and the radiologist said there was a few pockets of it that were almost 10 cm big. I was tested for gd 3 weeks ago and it came back clear, and all of her organs and GI tract looked good so they want to do weekly nst's and bpp's to keep an eye on the fluid levels along with her heart rate and my contractions.

Any btdt stories or ideas on what I should expect from now on?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forumplvmkwmmqkamakanw

Advertisement

Last edited by Alikhlas; 07-17-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikhlas
I had my anatomy scan yesterday (finally) and while everything else looked great, baby girl was low on the weight. She's 1 lb 9 oz and they said that's 13th percentile..I have an appt with my ob next week and a follow up scan in 4 weeks, but meanwhile am getting a little worried. My first baby was small at birth (6.14) and still is only 20.5 lbs at 2 yrs old so I expect a small baby again, but the docs never said anything about her growth like this during pregnancy. What's also really weird is that I'm huge this time and already almost the size I was full term with my first at only 25 weeks.

So what can/should I do from here?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 24 weeks 5 days, baby is low weight

Try not to stress. Some people make small babies. Are you and/or your DH on the smaller side. What size babies did you mom have?

I have mid range babies (8lbs) except my 36 weeker that was 6lbs. I have a good friend that all her kids she carried full term and the biggest was 7lbs.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You might just make smaller babies, all of my babies have been about 6.5 lbs and they've all been within a few days + or - of their due dates.

My mom had little babies as did my mil, I figure for me it's genetics mostly.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a doula client with true IUGR, and as I recall the risk of still birth wasn't significantly increased until baby was 10% or less. You might do some research and see what medical literature you can find on it. I'll see if I can find the files we reviewed when she was deciding what to do.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
dani_p
Registered Users

Someone has to be on the low end of the percentiles. That's how they work! If there wasn't someone at the 1st percentile, it would no longer be the first percentile, kwim? Try not to stress!
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I was and always have been small..husband was a giant baby but grew into himself in a way, average now. Just worried this time because my daughter was fine in utero and this time I feel like my crazy morning sickness (lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks), lack of appetite (1-2 meals-snacks a day still), and extreme a achiness and tail bone pain isn't doing good for baby :/

Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

From the research I've done about true IUGR, there are a handful of important factors to consider. Some babies ARE just small, but tend to have a stable growth pattern. They're a low percentage (say 13%), but they'll stay in that percentile. A baby with IUGR due to placental issues will have a sudden dip down in their percentile. There's also a difference in whether its an overall small baby, or whether they're head is larger than the rest of the body in comparison. It's called assynetrical or symmetrical IUGR and one is more worrisome than the other. This Wikipedia article has some good basic info.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intra...th_restriction

The thing to balance with IUGR, is that if its a TRUE case, it is a clinically significant issue that poses serious risk to the baby. That said - there are providers who would be too quick to act like you have IUGR even though you don't fit the diagnostic criteria. Whether its bc they're over-cautious or trying to avoid litigation or just bored... It's good to make sure you're aware of the actual diagnostic criteria and recommended treatment/management. Then you can really participate in your care and make sure your provider has your best interests in mind.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
From the research I've done about true IUGR, there are a handful of important factors to consider. Some babies ARE just small, but tend to have a stable growth pattern. They're a low percentage (say 13%), but they'll stay in that percentile. A baby with IUGR due to placental issues will have a sudden dip down in their percentile. There's also a difference in whether its an overall small baby, or whether they're head is larger than the rest of the body in comparison. It's called assynetrical or symmetrical IUGR and one is more worrisome than the other. This Wikipedia article has some good basic info.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intra...th_restriction

The thing to balance with IUGR, is that if its a TRUE case, it is a clinically significant issue that poses serious risk to the baby. That said - there are providers who would be too quick to act like you have IUGR even though you don't fit the diagnostic criteria. Whether its bc they're over-cautious or trying to avoid litigation or just bored... It's good to make sure you're aware of the actual diagnostic criteria and recommended treatment/management. Then you can really participate in your care and make sure your provider has your best interests in mind.
Good points, thanks for that info.

I agree that someone has to be on the low percentiles and I'm tryin to not worry too much until the growth scan in 4 weeks again to see if baby is on her own curve or has up/down.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 24 weeks 5 days, baby is low weight

if you have a low weight in utero baby eating avacados daily can fatten them up really well.