Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
kay226
Registered Users
seller

Success! Made My Own Tablecloth MT

I'm so happy! We're broke right now, but I needed a way to carry around LO while outside most of next weekend. LO is too big for the k'tan, and I want to get a boba eventually, but we don't have it in the budget. Fortunately, I came across a tutorial for the tablecloth mei tai. I had an old, stained, white, woven, cotton table cloth hanging around in a drawer. So, I cut it all up, and made a MT. While the stitching is definitely not perfect, and the fabric is stained, it's very sturdy and LO loves it! I had to put a ribbon around the bottom, because I made it just a little too wide for her, but otherwise, it's great. All I have to do tomorrow is make a little hood with the leftover fabric. I still plan to get a boba or other ssc later on, because I'd rather just buckle in instead of tying, but this is going to be great for now. I already got a lot more done around the house today because of it. Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement.

Advertisement

kay226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good job mama! We'd love to see action pics!
I'm curious to see how you will make the hood (I'm actually planning on adding a hood to my mt too)
I just tried to wear my 5wk old in a MT for the first time today and I'm so happy I found a carrier she actually likes! (legs out!) so I was also able to do more things around the house than before!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Re: Success! Made My Own Tablecloth MT

Great job mama! I'm working on one now! I'd love to see some pics!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
kay226
Registered Users
seller

I'll try to get some pics up today or tomorrow.

I measured yesterday while she was in the thing. I'm going to make the hood about 5" wide by 9.5" long (to reach just past the middle of the top of her head), and make tie straps since I don't have snaps or a snap placing tool. I'm going to do a rolled hem and just stitch the bottom of the hood onto the top of the MT... not going to fiddle with opening up the seam and sewing it in.

I also think I might try to dye the whole thing with tea to even out the stained spots and make it a sort of khaki color instead of dull, stained, white. Maybe after that I'll get creative and embroider some fun stuff on there in other fabric. We'll see. I'm just happy to have a carrier in the meantime.

Last edited by kay226; 06-25-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: more hood info
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Stormynites
Registered Users

Sounds awesome, I'd like to see it as well, I always wanted a MT but more carriers aren't justifiable in our budget now
Stormynites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
kay226
Registered Users
seller

LO has been up sick the last 2 nights so no pics or hood yet. Here's the link to the tutorial I used: http://youre-sew-crafty.blogspot.com...-tai-tcmt.html

I made my MT a simple rectangle and haven't added my hood yet, but otherwise followed these directions exactly. Instead of the duck cloth in the middle, I just did 3 layers of tablecloth total.