Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
LO falling asleep 5 minutes into nursing, every time?

DD has now started falling asleep five minutes or less into nursing, every single time I feed her. I try tickling her feet, ear, cheek, side...sometimes I can get her to wake up enough for a few more suck/swallows, but then she's back asleep. And she sleeps for hours each time! It just seems like there's no way she's getting enough. I do have a very abundant letdown, so I guess she could be getting a ton all at once, but it still worries me. Should I be trying to wake her up more? She is 2 weeks 4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh, momma, I know what that feels like. I'd remove his diaper, tickle under his chin, massage his chest, etc. Sometimes he wanted more, sometimes he didn't. You have to keep trying. It passed quickly for us. Now he won't nap!
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: LO falling asleep 5 minutes into nursing, every time?

How is your baby's weight gain and wet and dirty diapers? If its fine I wouldn't stress. If baby is slow gaining weight I'd actually suspect a tongue tie. One of the symptoms is that the baby is unable to stay awake on the breast for long because of the energy it takes to try and effectively breast-feed. But their are also a lot of other symptoms besides just falling asleep on the breast. How many times in 24 hours is she nursing? A typical newborn does 10-12 times but could do 8 and be okay.

One thing that might make you feel better is seeing a lactation consultant and doing a pre and post feed weigh to get an estimate of how much your baby is getting.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Naked down to the diaper and a cool wash cloth to rub on her head. My babies have jaundice and they are very sleepy the first weeks. Also try offering the breast after her nap. Keep an eye on her weight and diapers.

Some moms do a Eat/Play/Sleep cycle starting about that age and it can help make sure they get a full feeding. We did that with our last one and it really helped get him on a good routine and help him be a great sleeper.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
mrsc968
Registered Users
seller

I feel for you! We went through the same thing and it was so hard. Nursing sessions would take forever and I could never get on a schedule because her sleeping was so sporadic. I would keep trying to wake her, but I don't have any good tricks for you. GL!
mrsc968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
How is your baby's weight gain and wet and dirty diapers? If its fine I wouldn't stress. If baby is slow gaining weight I'd actually suspect a tongue tie. One of the symptoms is that the baby is unable to stay awake on the breast for long because of the energy it takes to try and effectively breast-feed. But their are also a lot of other symptoms besides just falling asleep on the breast. How many times in 24 hours is she nursing? A typical newborn does 10-12 times but could do 8 and be okay.

One thing that might make you feel better is seeing a lactation consultant and doing a pre and post feed weigh to get an estimate of how much your baby is getting.
I did this with DS1, it's so very stressful. I wanted to second this suggestion, of seeing a LC to get a pre and post feed weight, it would take a lot of guesswork out of it! I called the La Leche League representatives in our area a couple of times when I was struggling and they were very helpful. They also told me about a FREE clinic where you could take your child and do the pre/post nursing weighs. And if it's free and will give you some peace of mind - why not???? I *think* ours was at Carle, but definitely check with whatever is closest to you. If nothing else, I'm sure your doctor would be willing to do it for you!
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Kquiet
Registered Users
seller

It does pass quickly. If she is gaining I wouldn't worry, but if she isn't I'd talk to your pediatrician....
Kquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

My baby had a bit of jaundice early on that made her fall asleep while nursing. Wet wash cloth always worked to keep her awake when tickling etc wasn't enough.
Smitty241 is offline   Reply With Quote