Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nursing Strikes and my period!

My son is almost 10 months and won't latch. I'm hoping to hear from anyone here who has experience with something similar.

I started my regular menstrual cycle at 6 months with both my kids. I've noticed a decrease in nursing or mini-strike (1-2 nursing sessions) in my son each month. This month is super bad. He is now at 24 hours of not nursing.

I have plenty of milk. A few hundred ounces in the freezer and I can pump about 7-8 ounces for a bottle as needed.

I can't really stop my period so I don't know what to do. I've eaten larger quantities of a few favorite junk foods but he seems to drink from the bottle just fine so I'm not convinced its from that. He is acting happier than usual too. He only cries when I try to nurse and won't even put his mouth near me.

My husband is convinced he wants to wean. I think he knows I'm a bit tired and stressed so he wouldn't mind us having a weaned baby for my sanity. It just seems more like a strike than weaning so I don't want to be selfish and just give up. We would have enough breastmilk between the freezer and me pumping 3 times a day to make it to 1 year.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

What do you want to do? Most babies don't wean that early. Sounds like a nursing strike to me. Try nursing when baby is sleepy or in a quiet dark room to prevent distractions. Nurse then offer solids. If you want to continue, then pump and keep offering milk in a cup or mixed in solids.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Jessrof
Registered Users

Re: Nursing Strikes and my period!

My guy has started doing this... I think it is a combo of the hormones, teething, and distraction for us. Some people say there are no such things as "nursing strikes"... that there is always a reason for a baby not wanting to nurse. If one year is your goal and you can reach it with frozen milk then go for it... but you have to go with your gut...
Jessrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Jessrof
Registered Users

Oh and my supply tanks when it comes to my period. Could be a flow issue.... my guy likes fast floe and isn't a fan of the slow flow associated with my period
Jessrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I get a bit swollen and plugged easily around my period. The problem is that he refuses to even go near my nipples. If he isn't even touching, let alone latching, I don't see how he could be offended by the flow or taste. He Just screams if I put my nipple near him. He laid on the bed last night and pinched me laughing at my nipples. Kinda weird.

I know its a strike not weaning. Just stressed by the whole thing and have been counting down to weaning time recently. He was nursing every 2 hours and only in once location of the house without any noise or distractions for the past few months. Its been hard on my older daughter too.

He started to refuse the bottle from me too this morning. I'm going to take him to the Dr. to rule out ear infections even though he's never had one.

I guess I have super mixed feelings about what to do. I would be very disappointed to wean before a year. I had thought we would wean naturally and was thinking around 2 years maybe. 1 year of only my milk was the true goal.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had a baby wean off boobie at 9 months old due to biting. He only would bite my nipple not nurse. I fed him till he was one on pumped milk in a bottle. I would keep offering, pump, and see what happens.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote