Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

supply issues in the evenings.

having some issues with supply at night, mamas. :/ like, in the early evening.

this is what our day has looked like since we woke up this am.

10am - i pumped 3.5 ounces. he ate that, and nursed for about 15 minutes after.

12:30pm - i pumped 5oz, he ate that and was content for several hours.

3:00 - i pumped 3.5 ounces. he ate that at 3:45pm, and then nursed on the right side for 10 minutes, and the left side for 20 minutes.

fast forward to this evening (around 5pm is when the "trouble" starts)

he napped from 5 to 5:30. nursed on right side from 550 to 615. after the third letdown on that side, i switched. he nursed on the left side from 615 to 635. i am pumping each side for 15 minutes now to see what i get.

pumped left for 15 minutes, got about half an ounce. been pumping the right side for 5ish minutes, and have about 3/4 of an ounce out of that side... so not GONE, but definitely not what it needs to be to keep him satisfied.

i've been taking fenugreek (4-6 capsules a day) and have upped my water intake (though maybe not what it should be, still)... i get decent sleep for the most part.

anyway... from about 5-10pm he nurses almost constantly, and barely swallows. like, he gulps 8-10 times during letdown, then nothing for 8-10 minutes until letdown happens again. between letdowns, he might swallow 1 time for every 6-8+ sucks.

what do i do? it's frustrating for both of us, and i really want to nurse him but i feel like my body is fighting against me.

i seem to be a bit more full in the mornings because he only "snacks" throughout the overnight hours, never gets a full feed. so i wake up and he gets a full meal with no problem. but after about 2 full feedings, it starts to diminish.

Advertisement

Last edited by leyash; 07-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My supply is always lower in the evening. Both my babies have cluster fed at that time too.... I don't have any advice as your situation is completely different (never any weight gain issues), but good luck. It can be so hard!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What youre describing actually sounds pretty typical - lower supply in the evening and cluster feeding. Does LO seem upset, like, where is my numnums mom waaaaaah?!?! Or is he content to just hang out at the boob? If he seems content, and is gaining/peeing/pooping well, I wouldn't let it worry you too much.
Make sure you are eating enough! And drinking enough!
I don't know the whole backstory, so I might be missing something, but is there a reason that you are pumping during the day? If it's necessary, that's great that you are doing that, but if it's just to confirm how much LO is getting - I would try to nurse rather than pump tbh. It's harder to freak out when you have no proof of "output" besides a contented babe. Now, like I said if there are medical issues or something else that I'm not aware of, carry on!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Agreed. Supply is lowest in the evenings. It's normal. It's cruel but normal.

Your supply is always highest in the morning and lowest in the evening.

Why are you changing sides after 3 letdowns? I prefer to let baby tell me when they need to switch. There's no need to time or regulate to that degree. Unless there's something you're doing that you're not explaining??

Overall, your day sounds fine. Baby nurses a little during the day and cluster nurses in the evening to prepare for the night.

My LO nurses all day - like hourly. And sorta cluster nurses a little in the evening and a little in the morning.

If I pump, both sides for 10 min, I get less than half an ounce combined. Your pumping numbers seem fine. I don't understand why you're pumping though. You give a bottle and nurse all in one feeding? And if so, nursing first, then bottle is generally the recommendation.

More info might be needed. Remember the pump is not as good as the baby.

Also, for fenugreek to be really effective, you might need quite a bit more - that's the minimum almost. Some women take easily 3x that.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 07-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: supply issues in the evenings.

My supply is lowest at night and has been with all my babies. They always cluster feed at night. It is very normal.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My supply is lowest at night and has been with all my babies. They always cluster feed at night. It is very normal.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post

What youre describing actually sounds pretty typical - lower supply in the evening and cluster feeding. Does LO seem upset, like, where is my numnums mom waaaaaah?!?! Or is he content to just hang out at the boob? If he seems content, and is gaining/peeing/pooping well, I wouldn't let it worry you too much.
Make sure you are eating enough! And drinking enough!
I don't know the whole backstory, so I might be missing something, but is there a reason that you are pumping during the day? If it's necessary, that's great that you are doing that, but if it's just to confirm how much LO is getting - I would try to nurse rather than pump tbh. It's harder to freak out when you have no proof of "output" besides a contented babe. Now, like I said if there are medical issues or something else that I'm not aware of, carry on!
was just pumping today to get a rough idea of supply because of baby acting unsatisfied at times the last few days.

he's half and half with the crying. sometimes it's frustration like screaming "where is my food?!" other times he'll suck for 15 minutes with no complaints, and hardly anything coming out.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote