Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

S/O: Age appropriate books about biology

The thread about "the talk" got me thinking about resources for when LO is older.

For those of you who are willing to use books in your education process, what are your favorite age appropriate books (for little ones through biological adulthood) for teaching your kids about their bodies, sex, where babies come from, etc?

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have a great one called "God Made Your body."
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O: Age appropriate books about biology

I bought ds What's Going on Down There? for boys and also What's Happening to my Body? Book For Boys. I think they cover at least the basics. I have books that cover more like S.E.X.: The All-You-Need-To-Know Progressive Sexuality Guide to Get You Through High School and College but he is not nearly old enough to get into that sort of information yet. He is soon to be 12 and emotionally/developmentally behind because he is ASD. I really wanted to stick more with puberty type books for now.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
cbreeding
Registered Users

I have a picture anatomy book not necessarily geared towards children but it is more detailed pictures with small explanations. Everything from the brain down to the toes from our insides to outsides.

My kids and I will look at it during various times and it sparks a lot of questions, things like germs, blood, and even reproductive questions. All my kids have access to it and can look at it anytime they want. As the kids have gotten older, the questions have gotten more in depth. Just yesterday my 3yo was looking through it, stopped at the reproductive systems and asked questions about what is this and that. Nothing in depth, just what is it. Given time she will start to ask what it does or how it works, but we aren't there yet with her.

My 6yo knows all the mechanics and even about menstrual cycles, but it is just very factual and none of the emotional dynamic to it. I'm not sure she quite equates that one day it will happen to her, just that this is the way babies get made.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

We got a book for our son called "It's NOT the Stork!" when he was 5 yrs old. It's labelled for kids 4+ and I think it's very appropriate for kids around that age that are starting to ask questions. It covers internal and external reproductive anatomy (boy and girl), the very basics of sex and how sperm and egg meet to make a baby, how babies grow in the uterus and are born as well as some other stuff about different types of families, being a good friend, good touches/bad touches etc. I like it because it takes a somewhat humorous approach to the topic - I think this makes it very easy to read through with a child with neither one feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable. My son regularly chooses this book as a bedtime story and we read it just like any other of his books.

For non-reproductive human biology, we have a nice Usborne book called "See Inside Your Body". I think we got that one when our son was 3 and very interested in how his body worked. It covers just about everything except reproductive anatomy (bone, muscles, heart, lungs, blood, brain, digestion). It's a very sturdy lift the flap book - he has always liked to open the various flaps to see what was underneath. Of course, our son's favorite pages were the ones that covered peeing and pooping!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

American Girl's The Care and Keeping of You is a great book for girls about puberty, periods, bras, etc.

mom to 3 girls and one little boy
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS1, who is almost 4,.has a book that has some anatomy in it. It is a scholastic book, I think it is called the human body first discoveries. It shows the different systems, like digestive and circulatory. It has a skeleton that shows different bones. It talks about growth and mammal characteristics. It has a very small section about reproduction that I think just shows an egg and sperm meeting and how the cell grows. He loves looking at it and tells me he is learning about his body. It is nice because it has a few transparencies that overlay in top of eachother.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-You-Getting-Smart-Private/dp/0142410586[/url]

We have this one for our 4 year old. We like it and it's started some good conversations. There are drawings of both sexes from baby to adulthood which I think is good but I can see how some parents might not be okay showing both genders fully nude.
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you are looking for books for younger kids (not puberty) we have an Usborne book all about babies. The boys love it. It talks about where babies come from, just straight facts, and then also covers how to take care of babies, breast feeding, bottle feeding, diapering (including cloth diapers) and how babies grow for the first few years. The boys have been flipping through that for the past few weeks. We also have several general anatomy book for kids like Explore and Learn Human Body (came in the full Explore and Learn set but you can buy it separately on Amazon), Usborne Human Body, and Eye Witness Human Body just to name a few. I try to make sure they have several different types of science books to flip through in each area.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the suggestions mamas.

Our library had the reproductive book ""It's NOT the Stork!", but didn't have any of the other non-reproductive books recommended. I did dig through all the books there and found one non-reproductive book that was appropriate for a 1-2 year old, and the toddler liked it, so I thought I'd provide it's title for others. "Your Body", by Brenda Stones and Thea Feldman, Kingfisher Readers Level 2.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote