Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my list of things that have helped baby take a bottle

I was desperate for help with ODD, I was almost as desperate for help with YDD who is now 6 weeks old.

My daughters have loved/love to nurse! We have not had problems with latch or supply, but they both really despise the bottle. This was a problem for me since I work outside the home.

Here are some things you might try that have worked for us, to get our children to take bottles. I am not a lactation consultant, but this is, from one mom to another, what we have tried.

1. Make sure the milk is really warm. My lactation consultant said that even if you just pumped it, you may need to stick the bottle in really warm water to get the temp back up to what it is like "from the tap".

2. Give baby a shirt of mommy's to snuggle with while offering the bottle. My ODD needed this to help her fall asleep while I was away. Today I was at the store and YDD woke up hungry. DH tried for several minutes to get her to take a bottle, with no luck. He gave her a t-shirt of mine. She whimpered, sighed and then commenced "nursing" the bottle. He said he couldn't believe it worked so well! When I got home she was finishing her third oz, hugging the shirt that DH gave her, and falling asleep.

3. Try a different bottle. This was an expensive option. So far she has only successfully taken Tommee Tippee, but she may have taken others if the milk had been warmer . Regardless, I have been able to take the other bottles to the consignment shop to resell. They were playtex nursers (with both silicone and latex nipples), Dr. Browns with a preemie nipple, and Breastflow. I have a mOmma by Lansinoh coming in the mail that I ordered in desperation but I don't think we wil try it since she is doing better with the Tommee Tippee.

I've also heard of having someone else give the bottle and have mom leave the room or house. This worked a little with ODD but not with YDD hence the shirt. Apparently I'm their comfort Hope this helps someone. Every kid is so different, for us its been trial and error.

Advertisement

Last edited by nebraskamom; 07-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.
nebraskamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
elevation24
Registered Users

Re: my list of things that have helped baby take a bottle

Thanks! My daughter is 11 weeks and I am going back to work on the 22nd. While I have given her a bottle several times with some regularity (once or twice a week since 6 weeks), I left her with my mom one day for about 8 hours to attend a work function recently and she did horribly taking the bottle all day! She loves to nurse - it's totally more than just hunger for her. She would only take the bottle when she was starving I am terrified to go back to work, so I will definitely try your tips with the shirt and temperature.
elevation24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
babyblueJ
Registered Users
seller

Same as PP above... thanks for the tips! We'll be trying the temperature check, especially, since I'll be going back to work in August and want my DD to be used to the bottle by then. I'll see if the shirt idea works too. At this point, I'm willing to do just about anything short of just leaving her to cry it out and eat in starvation mode... I refuse to do that!
babyblueJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
ShirleySH
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the tips. Last month we stopped giving the bottle to my daughter for about a week (we were traveling internationally and it was just easier to nurse). When we tried to put her back on the bottle, she flat out refused. Would get so upset and just cry and push the bottle away with her hands. I tried waiting it out, but got concerned when she had not eaten for over 6 hours so gave in and nursed her. Its definitely been a challenging few weeks, we've managed to finally take a couple bottles a day but it has to be in the morning when she's in her best mood. I purchased a bottle warmer so we could get the milk to a consistent temperature for feedings and that seemed to work well for her. I'll see if your other tips will help us. Thanks!
ShirleySH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of yours have worked for me/DH/Daycare. I have 3 kids and WOH full time. Each kiddo is completely different.

To add to your list

~my current baby was really sick for a over a week and only nursed from me. When she was better and I went back to work she wouldn't take a bottle. My DH got her to take it by putting her in the bouncy seat and then giving her the bottle. Once she took a couple that way, he could hold her for the rest and she was then fine at daycare the next day.

~different bottles is huge. My kids only drink from playtex nursers/ventaire.