Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
rmorrow
Registered Users
seller

fl washer diaper routine

The hubs just ordered a new Samsung front load washer for us. I have an old tl now and haven't heard great things about fl and diaper washing. Does anyone have a routine that works for them? I use a range of diapers: aio, pockets, pf & covers. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

rmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I have a FLer and wash a combo of fitteds, aios, pockets and flats in it ( all different fibres). Mine doesn't have a rinse and spin onion so I do a quick wash on cold, then a hot wash with an extra rinse, then another quick wash on cold. I would substitute a rinse a spin for the cold quick washes if I had the option as it would be faster. I use regular tide powder and rockin green (I would only use tide but I have a bunch of rg that I want to use up). I have had no stink issues or build up problems with this wash routine.

Also, I do spray off poopy diapers and wipes before they go into the wash and I wash every 2 to 2.5 days.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
lfw802
Registered Users
seller

Mine has buttons to add a soak and a second rinse. I do both of those with a heavy duty cycle. Easy peasy! I use Rockin Green and wash every other day.
lfw802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Mom for twinkies
Registered Users
seller

It really depends on the washer you have. You basically need more water. So however you can do that...

My washer has a rinse and spin cycle. I do that first and change it to no spin. Just wets diapers and makes them heavy. You could do a quick cold wash here instead to get off loose poo.

Then a hot wash with detergent. I have a sanitary cycle. If you do the cold wash above and it spins the diapers then I would take a pitcher of water and dump on the diapers tomake them heavy. This tricks the washer and causes it to use more water.

Then add an extra rinse to get out any extra detergent. If you cant add this on your washer then another quick cold wash will do.

FL are great! You just have to figure out how it works. My dipes are much cleaner with my FL
Mom for twinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I wish our FLer had a soak option! I have never had to add extra water, I would try it with the usual cold rinse/hot wash/cold rinse first ( or whatever comes closest on your washer) and go from there. Also be cautious of the sanitary cycle as it can not be a good thing. I've read lots of warnings to not use it on diapers, especially those with PUL or TPU...but then again I use tide and that is supposedly a non-cloth friendly detergent. I put one of our beige towels in with other towels on the sanitary cycle once and it came out closer to white. So that has made me wary of that cycle.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
babydaddy
Registered Users

Re: fl washer diaper routine

if you need even more water, you can soak a towel with water and put it in with the diapers. it tricks the washer into thinking it's a heavier load than it actually is and the washer will add more water to compensate. it's a good trick if you need more water and you there aren't any options on your front loader to get more.

now that my son is 7mos, his diapers are starting to get a pretty soaked. sometimes i'll do a second cycle wiethout any detergent just to get more water and the smell out.
babydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
rmorrow
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all, I'll try these tricks!
rmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
McDMom
Registered Users

I have a Samsung and I've not seen any difference in water level with the wet towel trick. Wet diapers worked fine but I do spray every poopy one. Also adding water doesn't work. The dynamic sensing just drains it. I really don't think you need either of these. I haven't. I do a quickwash with spin on high first to get the yuckies out. Then, and this is key, run a rinse with NO spin. This gets the diapers all wet and heavy again. Then I run a heavy duty hot wash with extra rinse on LOW spin (want the diapers to still be wet and heavy for the rinse). Lastly I do a quick wash for a final rinse.
I wash every other day, have a variety of diapers and have average water. I use Cheer powder.

Last edited by McDMom; 07-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
McDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

1.Rinse Cycle
2.Long Hot Wash (choose the one with the highest water level after consulting your manual or calling the manufacturer)
3.Extra Rinse (for ours this was just an additional setting we chose at the beginning of the wash cycle)
4.Use Tide Orginal Powder HE to line 1.

Don't stress over bubbles. FLer water nearly always looks bubbly. If you are really worried, stop the washer during last rinse cycle and see if the bubbles dissipate. If most do, you know your diapers have been rinsed. If they stick around for 5 minutes after you've stopped your washer, run an extra warm water rinse.

And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. warm rinse, I do the soak cycle for most water. Extra bonus is the soak cycle doesn't spin afterwards so diapers are at their heaviest before the main cycle
2. Long/Heavy and Hot cycle (bright whites) w/ detergent
3. Extra cold rinse (part of the whites cycle)

Since we do small loads due to a daytime PL child only, I add the extra towel in. I do feel it helps with extra water and something else for items to rub against. I Did stop using it at one point and did notice a difference. Once the new LO come I don't plan on using it anymore.

If I decide I need to add oxygen bleach (like if the diapers have sat too long) I will add during the the rinse/soak cycle. If I forget or feel like adding it to the main cycle, I will make the extra rinse a warm rinse. It's more effort on my part but I want to make sure the bleach washes out.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote