Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Mommy2en7b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Clean up as you go or just once?

My girls toys are organized into clear boxes by type of toy, the boxes stay stacked neatly in their closest. The can each pick one at a time and when they are ready to play w something else, everything for the box that is out must be put away first. They also have to pick up before lunch/quiet time & before bath/bedtime. The older two are 3 and 4, I never clean up after them. I do a deep clean and organize their room probably a little less often than once a week. They help with that as well. As for the rest of the house I clean as I go, with all the major stuff done on Mondays and Fridays. Except for dinner, I clean up the food & everything, but leave the dishes for the next morning while hubby is at work. ��

Advertisement

Mommy2en7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't bother cleaning during the day. My kids are 6, 4, and 2, and are walking tornados. We clean up at the end of the day to a certain extent, and sometimes I don't even bother since they will have destroyed the upstairs by 9 the next morning.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
We clean up at intervals throughout the day. Kind of before the next thing. As in, let's have a snack, let's clean up first. Want to go outside? Let's clean up. Inside? Clean up the toys. The last thing I want to do at the end of the day is follow the path of chaos, picking up toys.
This is what I try to do too. Otherwise the house is absolutely destroyed by the time they go to bed. I really want them to be able to clean up their own messes. DS1, almost 4, can pretty much clean up after himself and knows where all of his toys go. He likes to argue and fuss to get out of doing it though.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

I generally wait until the end of the day or morning before everyone is awake. Unless I can't take it, then I try to do a little during the day
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Um...we clean in crisis. As in wipe up the spills, toss the kid clothes in the hamper when you trip over them, wipe the sink down when you realize it's gross, clear the laundry off the table when it's time for dinner (or lately... Just eat outside).

We do clean the kitchen every evening and sometimes before. I try to vacuum either upstairs or down every weekend and the rat cages and kitty litter get cleaned regularly.

I bow down before mamas who vacuum and pick up daily, I wish you would come do my house too.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We clean as we go on throughout our day, toys are different I don't pick those up if they are playing with them but I like them picked up before outings and naps and meals, I hate coming home to a messy house.

I clean the kitchen after every meal and sweep or vacuum as I see need.

I perform better as a mother in a tidy and organized home.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I keep things tidy throughout the day, but vacuum/steam floors and make everything sparkle before & during dinner prep. That way we all get to relax in a clean home each evening we choose to stay in. When I do the floors, attack smudged windows/mirrors, and wipe down the stainless steel appliances earlier in the day it's sparkle is lost & smudges have been reapplied by the time we are in a lower activity mode & truly want to enjoy our home.

When my LOs were too young to help clean up an activity before moving onto the next I did the clean up before we moved on to something else. I believe in teaching by example. I would expect children who lived in a messy house their first several years to find it odd that leaving messes out as preschoolers is a no go.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to enforce "clean as you go" but I do make exceptions for toys that require significant set-up time IF the kids want to play them again later AND they are not in a walkway. But if a few days go by and the toy isn't played with, then I have them clean it up too.

A giant chaotic mess, for me, is incredibly overwhelming. I can only imagine how it makes the boys feel. Our home is small anyway, so the only way to keep having a space to play is to clean up whatever they are done with.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
Um...we clean in crisis. As in wipe up the spills, toss the kid clothes in the hamper when you trip over them, wipe the sink down when you realize it's gross, clear the laundry off the table when it's time for dinner (or lately... Just eat outside).

We do clean the kitchen every evening and sometimes before. I try to vacuum either upstairs or down every weekend and the rat cages and kitty litter get cleaned regularly.

I bow down before mamas who vacuum and pick up daily, I wish you would come do my house too.
You are not alone mama
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Both.

We clean up as we go with small things, but I'll let the trainset stay on the coffee table for a week if she plays with it every day. Some things I clean up at night.

My daughter barely got interested in toys at about 31 months after DS was born. So we leave some out to remind her that they're fun.

I love having a completely clean house, but I don't see toys that will be played with again after naptime to be something to stress about.