Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Sleeping in swing unsupervised

Is it actually dangerous for a baby to sleep in a swing unsupervised? My son isn't the greatest sleeper. up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours all night and then when he wakes between 3-5 he won't go back to sleep. The last two nights I finally gave up trying and put him in the swing downstairs and went back to bed. My husband is currently sleeping on the couch which is beside the swing as the baby is often in our bed which makes him nervous so the baby isn't unsupervised so far. But I was thinking of getting a second hand swing and putting it upstairs in the nursery. There is no room in our bedroom as the crib is sidecarred. The nursery is right beside our room, our bedrooms are small and there is a vent between the two rooms so I would be able to hear everything. I can even hear my daughter in the other room with both doors closed and a white noise machine on. So would I be putting my son in danger if occasionally at night he sleeps there? I can't really think of any reason why. He can't get out (he's only 5 weeks), It's unlikely that the swing would break. I can hear him and it would only be for a few hours so I sleep (he'll sleep for hours in it, I wish he'd do that in bed)
Oh and of course the doors would be open and white noise off.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 07-07-2013 at 07:00 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleeping in swing unsupervised

There can be the danger of positional asphyxiation in swings and carseats, I don't think I would do it.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd1 was a big swing sleeper. It was the only way she would sleep.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

As long as the seat is reclined enough so your son's head is back and his airway is open (no chin touching chest) it's fine. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you need to get your rest too to be an effective parent!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3rd napped in the swing for the first 6 months and occasionally slept there. It was the only way she would sleep for longer than 15 minutes.

When my babies were sick and stuffy and slept better at a recline they often slept in the swing, car seat, or bouncy seat.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds1 slept in his car seat for 6 months- he was so colic he wouldn't have it any other way. dd2 slept in the swing for like 4 months till she got too old and it started being a hazard for falling. Some kids just are like that- they need to sleep sitting up. As long as he/she is restrained and can't fall out (age etc) then I say sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my first slept in swing and bouncy seat for a while. she had colic bad and that's the only way she'd sleep. I would sleep on the couch beside her or bring the bouncy seat in the bedroom beside my bed. just take precautions so the baby can't fall out and make sure the air way is open.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Angel89411
Banned

My oldest slept his best in a fp glider. The seat structure is the same as a swing. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. A mama with no sleep is dangerous, too. Seriously. Driving, cooking, doing many other things that can be dangerous when you are barely conscious.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie.en.Rose View Post
As long as the seat is reclined enough so your son's head is back and his airway is open (no chin touching chest) it's fine. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you need to get your rest too to be an effective parent!
this.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell
ds1 slept in his car seat for 6 months- he was so colic he wouldn't have it any other way. dd2 slept in the swing for like 4 months till she got too old and it started being a hazard for falling. Some kids just are like that- they need to sleep sitting up. As long as he/she is restrained and can't fall out (age etc) then I say sure.
This. All 3 of mine slept in the swing til they were 6 months or older. DS couldn't sit up til he was a year old and slept there til he was 14 months.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote