Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sleeping in swing unsupervised

You could try a rock and play as well. They are similar to the swing but it is approved for sleeping because it is more upright but not as upright as the swing. It's small enough that it would fit in your bedroom. It's the size of a small bassinet.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I had no idea there was a concern! 2 our of our three slept in the swing for a good long while. DS1 would ONLY sleep in the swing, or on our chest sitting up. Always. He was in that swing a TON and I never knew there was a safety hazard...

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a pretty recent thing that its a concern and many people feel differently about it.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Why not un-side car the crib for now and put the swing in your room? That way you could crack an eye and make sure things were fine, but not have to get up.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I think it's a pretty recent thing that its a concern and many people feel differently about it.
It was a concern when I had my oldest and she'll be 15 in November.

I would do it during the day. I would have a harder time doing it if I was sleeping at the same time in a different room.

I would be more concerned about it becoming a habit & then trying to break him from only sleeping in the swing when he's older and it is more dangerous(when they can grab bars & such). If he is sleeping in it for hours during the day that could be why he isn't sleeping well at night. Though if you put him in it and he sleeps good and night it could be easy to switch that around too.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I would be afraid to do it unless I was quite sure the baby couldn't flop his head forward at all to cause asphyxiation. DH's coworkers baby died after they dropped the baby off at the sitter. He was sleeping so the sitter left him in his bucket seat on her kitchen floor while she made lunch. She realized he was dead a short time later. When their head flops forward like that it doesn't look that unnatural and can happen quickly and silently.

The idea this is only a recent concern is pretty silly. I know my parents were concerned with it 30 years or so ago. I just don't think it's talked about a whole lot for whatever reason.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS napped in his swing until he was almost 5 months, it was one of the only ways he'd sleep, besides wrapped up in a moby on me
Old 07-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
I would be afraid to do it unless I was quite sure the baby couldn't flop his head forward at all to cause asphyxiation. DH's coworkers baby died after they dropped the baby off at the sitter. He was sleeping so the sitter left him in his bucket seat on her kitchen floor while she made lunch. She realized he was dead a short time later. When their head flops forward like that it doesn't look that unnatural and can happen quickly and silently.

The idea this is only a recent concern is pretty silly. I know my parents were concerned with it 30 years or so ago. I just don't think it's talked about a whole lot for whatever reason.
Couldn't this happen though just while you're driving in the car? Also I don't sit beside my baby while he's in the swing, I'm up cleaning or cooking.
He's not in the swing all day, he's usually nursing or being held. I don't think he could flop his head forward, it's actually tipped back more than the car seat is. I still plan to put him to sleep in the crib as much as possible, it's just the times when he won't go back to sleep. My hope is that if he falls back asleep in the swing then he'll get used to going back to sleep at that time and it will no longer be his habit to be awake at that time.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

After trying everything I could think of, I started allowing my son to sleep in his carseat. It was the only way he'd sleep, as he didn't like the wide open feeling of a crib (at least that's my best guess as to why he slept soundly when he was snug inside the carrier.) I'd do whatever you're comfortable and works best for your family. It sounds like you're making an educated decision.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had no idea it was a concern to let them sleep in a swing. DS1 loved his swing and it was one of the few places he would actually sleep. He had horrible acid reflux and had to be kept at an incline or he was constantly throwing up.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote