Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Nope. We have the family room gated off. But we have lots of stairs and formal areas that are off limits.
My older kids have free reign of the rooms the are allowed in. But the toddler stays with me.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids have free range of the main floor. I try to keep DD out of the bathroom, and want to gate off our tiny kitchen, but that's it. If we're upstairs, again they have free range of the top floor, but I gate off the stairs and try to keep them out of the bathrooms.

I've given up freaking out about the fireplaces at our house and my parents houses. They seem to know that they can hurt themselves on the stone, and generally steer clear.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
winterhaven0417
Registered Users

Re: Do your babies run free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I've given up freaking out about the fireplaces at our house and my parents houses. They seem to know that they can hurt themselves on the stone, and generally steer clear.
That's the other problem with the fireplace. The mortar holding the (jagged, uneven) stones together is crumbling, and ds can pick out small pieces when he tries, which he does often. Then he wants to eat it. Fun.

And I can't put anything around it, it's huge and attached to the wall on one side, there's no way to have anything stand up around it that ds couldn't tear down in 3 seconds.
winterhaven0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Mommy2en7b
Registered Users
seller

Ours "run free", they were taught from beginning crawling to leave anything alone that isn't safe. There is a extra-tall walk-thur dog gate between their rooms, the guest room, their bathroom & the rest of the house, but they know how to open & close it & it isn't meant to keep them in, but to keep the puppy from going in their room & getting their toys.
Excuse my run on sentence lol.
Mommy2en7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
mkrisel
Registered Users

At our old house DD roamed free with the laundry room gated off. It was a small, one story house. We moved when she was 15 months. Next house, still roamed free and never left the main part of the house without us. Still a one story house. This house, we have the stairs gated off. Close the door to the sewing room. We think tge house is baby proffed, butDD2 isn't beyond rolling, so we'll see how safe things are as she gets moving!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Mine run free.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Mine have free reign of the house. The toddler usually wanders into somebody's room to play or follow someone around.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #18
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have "run free" as babies and toddlers. I didn't keep them sequestered to one room or gate them off. At that age they followed me. I never had baby gates. I child proofed things like light sockets and kept nothing that could have been bad if they gotten into it around etc. I didn't worry about them around the fireplace when there wasn't a fire on which was pretty much always or bumping into edges of things. When they got into things they shouldn't I just told them they were not supposed to and they eventually caught on.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 07-08-2013 at 11:57 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #19
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

We have never childproofed our home. Our children are 1.5 & 3.5, and from crawling age have always taught "EH! EH! Not for baby."

Now that they're walking and talking, they don't bother with any of those things... Like the fireplace, opening cabinets, unrolling the toilet paper (annoying), trying to play with the toilet water (so gross!), etc.

We also opted not to use a playpen either. In our view, it's there home too, so if changes need to be made for safety (knives/scissors up high and away) we did. Then when used them, it's "Not for kids, just mom & dad."
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I close off my room, the bathroom and gate the stairs. Otherwise baby has the run of the upstairs. I do similarly in the basement.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote