Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do your babies run free?

We have our fire place gated and the stairs gated. Medicine cabinet has a child lock. After that we don't have much dangerous to get into. All chemicals and things like that are in one cabinet that has a cabinet lock on it. All glassware is kept in upper cabinets so anything in the lower cabinets is won't hurt anybody. There is nothing hanging off dressers or counters that kiddos can grab and pull down on them. My kids have never shown any interest in playing in the toilet so even though I bought toilet locks we have never installed them. Our bathroom has a large linen closet and everything dangerous is kept in the top shelf- I need a step stool to get to it. I don't keep my razor and such in the shower, it goes back to the top shelf in the closet when I am done. We don't have a coffee table, all knic knacs are at my head level. We don't close doors in our house unless someone is sleeping so the kids have free range of the up stairs (downstairs is a basement unused family room and laundry room). There isn't too much they can actually get into to that will hurt them. We do have a gate on ds door but it doesn't get used. Its just there for when he is ready to move into a toddler bed. He's still in his crib now and is showing no interest in changing to a toddler bed. But the gate is there so that he can't wander in the middle of the night. They have started moving chairs to get things off the counter, but again nothing on there can hurt them- at least until they figure out how to get the outlet covers off and plug in an appliance.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-08-2013 at 04:33 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #22
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhaven0417 View Post
ds can pick out small pieces when he tries, which he does often. Then he wants to eat it. Fun.
Sorry to laugh, but this reminded me of when we had our first and we were renovating an old house. It was completely gutted when she was born, except her room. We had open ends of drywall and plaster all over the place and when she started scooting about she would dig her little fingers into the the plaster. I remember panicking and freaking out and spending a lot of time out at that stage.

I would invest in a superyard or similar gating system for the fireplace. And then teach him not to touch the gate.

Our babies have run free, for the most part, with obvious safety features. I try to teach them stairs early because inevitably someone leaves the gate open and I would rather they know how to do stairs than just fall down them.

Having said that I do preschool and some childcare out of my house, and clients have different rules than my own babies had. Plus we have a 7 mos old rambunctious pup, so there are some baby gates in action in our house right now.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Run of the house now that he can negotiate the stairs. I would wrap something around the fireplace like a blanket. It sounds like that would keep the crumbling from happening. Yuck!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #24
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Free with certain rooms shot at times. We are about to move into a house with a similar fireplace that has a two foot drop onto brick and I'm not sure how the handle that with the newbie....but I have a while to figure it out.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gate my baby in the living room (open concept house) because the kitchen has the dog water and food (this draws her like a magnet) and the basement stairs aren't properly closed off (the door lock broke and can now be opened just by pushing on it)

At my grandparent's cottage she gets the whole place to be free and I love it. My house just isn't safe enough.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have mostly run free. But if they were going through a phase where they kept messing around in the bathroom, we'd shut the door. We had a gate on the stairs until ds was 18 months and figured out how to get down them on his own and then we took them down. We have a big open floor plan so unless they go downstairs or into a bedroom I know what they are up to.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
addicteddad
Registered Users

Free run except for the bathrooms and closet that has tools, cleaning supplies, etc.
When ds1 moves to his room full time (his floor bed is in our room now), we think we'll gate the hallway that separates the living areas from the bedrooms at night.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Free. We didn't use the (wood burning) fireplace last year. We had mortise bolts installed on the entry door, basement and guest room. Otherwise, free to roam.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our kids (and pets) run free through the house. They are expected to not play in the bathroom (we've never lost anything to the toilet monster) and they are taught not to climb on things (except kitchen counters, because they can't reach a glass without climbing at least on a step). We do not have a fire place at this house, but we did at the rent house and we were just very strict on climbing and being on the rock or tile.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

I gate off the kitchen and the entryway (cause it connects to the kitchen) but that's more for me than them. I hate having them underfoot when I cook...but it's not a danger thing. Otherwise we just close bathroom doors. Otherwise it's free roaming.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote