Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #31
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

14 mo old is a free baby. Sort of. Gate to the kitchen, bathroom door closed. Everything dangerous he could get his hands on is behind the kitchen gate and in a locked or high cupboard. Main floor of the house is downstairs so the stairs are not gated and ds has been taught not to go on them. He is generally always in my sight and supervised. I live in a small space there's absolutely no way to baby proof everything.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #32
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do your babies run free?

Nah, we free range! The only thing we block off is the stairs for obvious reasons!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #33
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our whole house is relatively childproof. We just don't keep things near the floor that we don't want touched. The main childproofing item we have is the gate at the top of the stairs. We have one cupboard and one drawer with child proof latches to store scissors and cleaners and such, but everything else is free for them to explore. The house also is pretty small, so if it gets too quiet, chances are good I'll catch something before it gets out of hand or hear something.

I have often considered getting a gate to keep them out of the kitchen while I cook, but I guess I just got used to it after awhile.

The worst thing is usually when they start to pull chairs down on themselves, and eventually they figure it out.

For the fireplace, could you get one of those big 9-section gates?

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 07-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #34
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
I love baby gates, child proofing, & constant supervision. That is all I have to say.
me too! Three boys 4 and under need all three.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our kids and dog have free access to the house. I close doors to the laundry room and gate off the stairs since there is no door. There is a lock on the under the sink cabinets. The older boys will have the choice to start keeping their door closed or I put up a gate so the baby doesn't get into their legos since they dont' want to have to always put everything away.

There isn't really anything dangerous that they could get into.

I keep the laundry room door and the baby's room door closed to keep the dog from getting into the dirty diapers.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

My 20 month old is free. I go find him every 5 minuets or so and make sure he is out of trouble. But he is usually a shadow anyways so I don't worry to much. When he is off on his own I usually find him in his bedroom playing with toys.

Edit to add: our stairs are gated top and bottom and we keep the gym door shut.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 07-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I do try to remember to close bathroom doors, but I forget. Which is why I caught my 17 month old using the dirty-diaper-tongs to stir a pair of daddy's socks around the toilet. He was helping!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yup, the basement stairs are blocked off though
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I do try to remember to close bathroom doors, but I forget. Which is why I caught my 17 month old using the dirty-diaper-tongs to stir a pair of daddy's socks around the toilet. He was helping!
That is so cute! Just a couple more years, mama, and you can retire from the diaper laundry!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #40
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
We only gate the front and back door if open, keep the bathroom door shut
pretty much this. Except instead of gating the front and back door, I have the front door lock so tight and hard to turn that their little hands could never get it unlocked.

Plus our house is tiny, so I hear everything. It's one story, so no stairs.

I don't baby proof. I never really have. I just constantly supervise. Either directly, or through listening and knowing where they are. I redirect, and when necessary, I discipline.

If they go into the kitchen, I know immediately b/c the kitchen is smack dab in the center of the house and is visible from every common area.

The bathroom is 2 steps from the kitchen down the hall, and is tiny.

Things in bedrooms aren't dangerous, and they aren't allowed in my bedroom (where there really isn't anything dangerous to get at, more like, I don't like peanut butter, or jelly, or chocolate on my sheets).

By the age of 1-2 y/o the kids know pretty unequivocally where they are allowed and not allowed.

Now, at my parent's house, there's a pool. And I check like a million times an hour to make sure the top chain lock is locked b/c drowning is very real here. If I had a pool, or some other serious concern (like fireplace bricks) I would take necessary steps to prevent them from hurting themselves, but my main objective would be what it always has been - supervise, redirect and, if necessary, discipline.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote