Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Why does he do this?

When my six week old falls asleep every 5 -10 mins he'll jerk and start kicking his arms and legs and moving all around and then after about 30 seconds he'll go back to sleep. He'll keep doing it over and over until it wakes him too much and then I have to get him back to sleep and then he'll do it again and again. Last night he did it for 3 hours until I put him in his woombie, he still did it a few times and then fell asleep (hopefully it was the woombie that helped, not complete exhaustion). I realized he will fall asleep in his bed but keeps waking up. He doesn't do it so much if he's sleeping in bed with me and hardly does it in his swing also, after he's gotten into a "good" (relative term as he eats a lot) sleep for the night he doesn't do it as much when he goes back down after feeding. Is it just a strong startle reflex? Could it be reflux? (he does often at the same time sound snorty like there is fluid in his nose, I have a crib wedge in the bed now). Is it something he'll outgrow?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 07-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you swaddling him tight enough? Not tight enough he can't breath, but enough that small movements shouldn't startle him. Do you lay him on his back, side or tummy? Mine slept great curled up on their side, you could still use the wedge but out a rolled blanket around him so he doesn't slide.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why does he do this?

He wasn't swaddled for the first 3 hours. It's really hot out and two nights ago I thought he was fighting the swaddle and hated it but I realized last night that it's just him doing this flailing thing he does. He wasn't swaddled the first 3 hours and then I tried the swaddle and he finally fell asleep after a few episodes. I put him on his back. He does seem to be very sensitive to noise and touch. He's not a deep sleeper. Am I right in assuming he has an overactive startle reflex?
Oh, and he's in a woombie because he can break out of any blanket swaddle. It's got give so it's not as tight as a blanket and his arms wind up over his chest rather than at is side.

Last edited by chandni3; 07-08-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would swaddle. Sounds pretty normal otherwise.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Like the pp's have said, a nice swaddle. Also you might consider a white noise machine...they helped my terrible sleepers immensely.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, I have everything I can think of to help him sleep, side-car'd crib, white noise, woombie, crib wedge and I'm waiting for my cuddlewool blanket to come for him to sleep on, right now I have him on a baby comforter, and have let him sleep in the swing.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3
Thanks, I have everything I can think of to help him sleep, side-car'd crib, white noise, woombie, crib wedge and I'm waiting for my cuddlewool blanket to come for him to sleep on, right now I have him on a baby comforter, and have let him sleep in the swing.
Not to make you cry, but I did all those things for my two and neither slept through the night until they were two :-)
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Definitely the Swaddle. DS hates the woombie though.

If you're worried about heat, don't put jammies on him, just diaper and woombie.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Not to make you cry, but I did all those things for my two and neither slept through the night until they were two :-)
I don't want him to sleep through the night, just to not wake up every 5-10 mins all night long. For some reason he can't get past the stage of light sleep to deeper sleep without waking up and starting over again.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the others -- swaddle him! We had great success with the miracle blanket, and it's fairly lightweight (and soft enough that I would put DS in it with just a dipe if it were hot out).
litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote