Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
missgen83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If I were to diaper four babies at once, I would ABSOLUTELY go with aplix closure AIOs. I'm guessing you will be getting a lot of help, and ease of use is huge for family and friends. I can't imagine wanting to stuff diapers on your "off" time. Personally, id suggest 100+ diapers. If it were me, id aim for 150, but I had 150 at one time for ONE baby, so I clearly err on the safe side! I've found I like to wash about 30-35 diapers at once in my machine. We easily used 15 diapers a day on our son in those early days (although we sposied until he was 4 months), so that means you could very well be doing two loads a day in those first few weeks. I just wanted to say congrats, and I think you're making such a good decision for your growing family!! I can't even imagine how much money you will save!!

Advertisement

missgen83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow congrats!! Yep KristinC did it! I would think with that many changes I would go with trifolded prefolds with fleece liners and aplix closure covers...at least to start with, maybe expand more as the babies get older. I hope u keep us updated!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Quadruplets in CDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
Wow congrats!! Yep KristinC did it! I would think with that many changes I would go with trifolded prefolds with fleece liners and aplix closure covers...at least to start with, maybe expand more as the babies get older. I hope u keep us updated!
Maybe KristinC was who I was thinking of. I remember someone on here with quads who did it, and I remember when she started selling off a huge stash of econobums, so I'm guessing that's what she used. Probably the best balance of cheap and easy!
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely have enough diapers for 3 days of rotation. 1 in laundry, 1 needing to be folded, and 1 in rotation. That way you are not strapped tryng to fold diapers.

Each system is going to have its pros and cons.

Pockets - quick drying time, easy to put on, take time to stuff.

PFs and covers are a two step process, but they don't need to be folded, so just grab out of the clean basket and throw it on - that is a huge plus. Covers can be used over and over (til they get poop on them).

AIO's are easy, but they take for.ever to dry.

Fitteds - I wouldn't even go there with quads. The number of diaper changes would be insane.
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow--congrats on the quads.

I would probably do
Prefolds, flats, and pockets.

I would have a 3 or 4 day supply.

4 babies x12 changes a day for newborns= 48 a day.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Wow! Congratulations and good luck :-) I would think your best bet would be a streamlined system of either trifolded prefolds/padfolded flats laid in covers (for easy laundering and cost efficiency) or AIOs (easy to put on and spray). I would think around 60ish diapers would be all you want...that will allow for half in the wash at a time. You will average a load of diaper laundry a day I'm sure...
No way is only 60 diaper changes enough for quads unless you want to wash multiple times a day.

I had 48 changes for one newborn baby and was washing every other day.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
Congrats and I would definitely get flats and pockets and covers.

I would pad fold the flats and lay them in covers. And I would also pad fold the flats (or prefolds if you don't like flats) and stuff the pockets for when you need to change quickly.
I would absolutely not do pockets or flats for quads. You will be folding and stuffing your life away.

Prefolds eliminates the folding part, but it's still a 2-piece system. An all aplix AIO system would be best, but probably cost prohibitive.

If cost were an issue, I'd do prefolds and covers. Probably 100 prefolds minimum and 30-40 covers. The washer will only hold so many diapers, I think I've seen an average of 20-30 depending on type and size. Perhaps adding a 2nd washer would be a good idea, too.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not one to trifold prefolds, but if it were me, you can bet we'd have a huge pile of prefolds and covders!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to add that it does not have to be all or nothing. If CDing part time would be less of a headache (and less wear on your washer) until LOs start peeing/pooping less than 324234 times a day, than that is an option too
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you can do it! If I had quads (or even triplets) I would have to b/c we can't afford sposies for just the 1 we have.

With that many diaper changes, I would wash diapers 2x a day. You don't have to, but I would want to b/c 70-80 diapers will not come clean if they are washed all together. That said, I wash every other day. When baby OTW gets here I will have 40 NB diapers, thats 2.5 days worth with 16 changes a day (which is probably a minimal amount). However, I don't imagine quads get changed quite as regularly as singletons or twins b/c there isn't time to change 64 diapers a day, you have 4 babies to feed, clothe, ect. For you I would suggest 1.5 days worth, so 96. And you will want to have all the same diapers so you don't have to remember what to do with a pocket, what to do with a prefold, ect. And I highly recommend snaps over velcro. Velcro wears out. You will have to buy new diapers all the time.

So, the 2 simplest systems are all in ones or trifolded prefold in a cover. Lay prefold in cover, then it's just as easy as a disposable. The big issue is having to buy different sizes. Your quads are going to be tiny. So I'd get Rumparoos Little Joeys, which are newborn all in ones that fit 4-12 pounds. Or get preemie PFs ($1 each on cotton babies) and Rumparooz newborn covers. For covers my rule is 3 diapers/ cover, so 32 covers for you.

Beyond the newborn stage, you can probably get away with 12 changes a day, so you can get 72 One Size diapers. We love Bum Genius Freetimes, and Elementals are great too. If you choose prefolds, I prefer Diaper Rite brand to Green Mountain Diapers because there are fewer sizes. Small fits 8-18lb and Medium fits 14-30lb. My big 2yo still doesn't even need a large. If you're tri-folding and not using a snappi the PFs fit even longer. You can just buy the smalls and wait quite a while before you need mediums, I'd think. And with 72 PFs, I'd get 24 covers. We like Rumparoos One Size and BumGenius Flips are good too. Econobums (also by BumGenius) work great on a budget.

Birth to potty learning budget for your quads if you do PFs in the amounts I mentioned: about $1000. You would spend that on sposies in the first 3 months.

Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited by NewMommy6111; 07-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote