Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So frustrated!

Help! My poor baby has a terrible rash and I have no idea what is causing it. It does go away with sposies, but I really want to continue using cloth. I've tried bleaching everything, doing extra hot soaks in the washer, more detergent, etc., and nothing seems to be helping. Please help me figure out what this is and how to fix it. She went into a disposable right after this pic and will stay in them until we get this figured out.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh poor baby! I'm sorry I can't help... Feeling for her though! I hope someone will give you good advice and she will be better soon!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you have stay dry material on her? Maybe her skin doesn't like to feel wetness? That is a really bad rash poor thing. Are you using 1/4 of the recommended amount of detergent? We use tide and that is what I do. Also no fabric softener. Maybe you know this already.
Hugs mama hope you get this figured iut
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So frustrated!

You want less detergent, not more. Too much detergent left on diaper fabrics can mix with urine/etc and cause unwanted reactions. I would give her a warm bath with oatmeal/epson/baking soda, whatever you have on hand, and let her go diaper free for a while.

Try rinsing all your clean cloth diapers in at least one hot water wash with no additives. When the rash clears up, try them again. If it happens again, it could be the diaper fabric. Maybe try using liners, then, and see what happens?

Poor girl.

EDIT: This may sound yucky but my daughter used to get bumps if I "over cleaned" her. My pediatrician said using straight water and cloths during the pee changes, and my wipes solution for poo. I've been doing that for months and no bumps whatsoever. And my wipe solution is lasting forever, lol!

Good luck!

Last edited by Cleokatrah; 07-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She's usually in pockets, so yes, stay dry most of the time. The funny thing is, if she is in a pocket too long she'll get really red, but she is in fitteds with a pad folded flat all night long with no issues. But right now it's the spots I'm worried about, not redness. They look like boils.

I cannot use Tide with my water, it made my diapers smell like a barnyard. I use plenty of detergent, if I use less they stink. They smell great out of the wash and no funky smells after she pees. The overnight diapers smell very strongly of ammonia, but that's being in them for 12-14 hours. And her bits look better in the mornings than they do in the evenings, so I really think the issue is something with the pockets.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, just re-started the diapers I washed this morning. Didn't add anything and I watched them agitate for a few minutes. I didn't see any soap bubbles or film in the water, so it looks like they are rinsing clean.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with it possibly being the pockets. Maybe they are less breathable, or the fuzzier fabric could be creating more friction on her bum? More heat = more and faster forming bacteria?

When my ped suggested I clean less vigorously, he mentioned ph levels, urine, and soap. Can't remember exactly what he said but soap and urine both affect ph and sometimes it's better to let nature do it's thing. He told me to try not cleaning her at all for a pee change, just let her air and do new diaper. If I had to clean, use only water. We went the water route, mostly. I did the no clean method for a day or two and did notice there were no adverse reactions, and no bumps, but I couldn't NOT use a wipe, so we went back to water.

I would still put my two cents on the pockets, though.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we had yeast that looked similar.if going away naturally in sposies i don't know unless sensitive to the fabric? some I think i read on here are sensitive or allergic to the fabric. I would try doing a setup like night time to see if that helps. if it does then maybe the allergy/ sensitivity to fabric. Mine get a bit red but because they get dry so just some butt cream and I am good. I use sween and lotromin and acid mantle. among my 3 creams have been through yeast 2 times that were confirmed and other rashes. Bleach wash?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just don't understand how we could go for a year with no huge problems, but then all of a sudden this happens. It's now been on and off rashes for the last few months. The last time it happened it escalated quickly and she ended up bleeding, poor baby. I may just have to find all of my flats and exclusively use those to see if that makes a difference (dh won't be happy about that). And I just bought six new diapers too.

I have been using bleach quite a bit lately too. Not every wash, but about every other or every third. I do have Nystatin I can put on her too if it might be yeast.

Last edited by disbugsmomma; 07-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.
disbugsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have hard water- if not I would put vinegar in a rinse cycle after bleaching to rinse out the bleach and then rinse again to rinse out vinegar. So sorry about your Lo's rash.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote