Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So frustrated!

Poor baby!

Regarding the Tide--powder Tide smells terrible to me, like the laundry isn't clean, no matter how much I rinse, but liquid Tide seems to clean well and doesn't have a very strong smell.

Regarding the night diaper--my kids' night diapers never smelled unless they weren't getting clean enough (i.e., when I was using cd-friendly detergent). Even after being in something all night, they didn't smell if they were clean.

Otherwise, if she does well in the flats, I'd stick with those! You can use all kinds of creams with flats too and it will all wash out. I have pockets in my stash but never use them all the time, I've had too much redness when using pockets all the time in my older two kids.

And good luck!

Advertisement

and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
superfox
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbugsmomma
I just don't understand how we could go for a year with no huge problems, but then all of a sudden this happens. It's now been on and off rashes for the last few months. The last time it happened it escalated quickly and she ended up bleeding, poor baby. I may just have to find all of my flats and exclusively use those to see if that makes a difference (dh won't be happy about that). And I just bought six new diapers too.

I have been using bleach quite a bit lately too. Not every wash, but about every other or every third. I do have Nystatin I can put on her too if it might be yeast.
Did the rash appear after the weather got warmer where you are or maybe after she became mobile? She may also be holding her pee longer and it's more concentrated?
I also carry Bee Green Naturals wool wash products on my HC store
superfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

It may not fit your situation since it sounds like you've been successful with your detergent for a long time now, but have you considered changing detergent? We went through several months of issues with LO when our original detergent became not available locally so we switched; and then switched again; and then resorted to mail ordering the original detergent because both of our local (well rated but didn't work for us) detergents caused rashes. One soon, one after ~2 months. It's definitely not a fun process, for baby or for the one doing the laundry and responsible for re-prepping/stripping the diapers to get all of the problem detergent out.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Do you have hard water- if not I would put vinegar in a rinse cycle after bleaching to rinse out the bleach and then rinse again to rinse out vinegar. So sorry about your Lo's rash.
I have extremely hard water, so no vinegar here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Poor baby!

Regarding the Tide--powder Tide smells terrible to me, like the laundry isn't clean, no matter how much I rinse, but liquid Tide seems to clean well and doesn't have a very strong smell.

Regarding the night diaper--my kids' night diapers never smelled unless they weren't getting clean enough (i.e., when I was using cd-friendly detergent). Even after being in something all night, they didn't smell if they were clean.

Otherwise, if she does well in the flats, I'd stick with those! You can use all kinds of creams with flats too and it will all wash out. I have pockets in my stash but never use them all the time, I've had too much redness when using pockets all the time in my older two kids.

And good luck!
Thanks. I haven't tried the powdered Tide, I was using the liquid. They never seemed to rinse clean and they stunk horribly. I also tried Ariel powdered detergent and the diapers felt funny and repelled with that. I make my own detergent and have used that for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfox View Post
Did the rash appear after the weather got warmer where you are or maybe after she became mobile? She may also be holding her pee longer and it's more concentrated?
I don't remember when it first appeared, maybe April? But it was just a small spot or two that would go away on its own. It got really bad last month, so we switched to disposables until it cleared up. When we put her back in cloth it came back with a vengeance.

Yes, she does hold her pee and then completely floods her diapers, sometimes to the point of leaking out the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
It may not fit your situation since it sounds like you've been successful with your detergent for a long time now, but have you considered changing detergent? We went through several months of issues with LO when our original detergent became not available locally so we switched; and then switched again; and then resorted to mail ordering the original detergent because both of our local (well rated but didn't work for us) detergents caused rashes. One soon, one after ~2 months. It's definitely not a fun process, for baby or for the one doing the laundry and responsible for re-prepping/stripping the diapers to get all of the problem detergent out.
I may try buying some detergent, maybe powdered Tide or Gain and give that a shot. I'll do just about anything at this point. I just want to have her back in cloth and not having to buy disposables.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If she's okay in the pad-fold overnight, try to do that during the day as well and see what happens. Another option, if you can, is to try cloth diapers w/o a cover. PUL doesn't breathe well and some babies are sensitive enough to get rashy in PUL, but they will be fine either coverless or with a breathable fleece or wool cover. My son was one who can't do the PUL, always rashy in PUL but fine in sposies, fleece, or wool. I know rashes aren't fun

boysniris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
McDMom
Registered Users

My DD got many more rashes as she got older and would hold her urine or eat more acidic foods (a poo after eating pepperoni pizza will rash get out really quick if I don't notice it). She had a rash that looked like that twice. I'd try more breathable diapers for a while (fleece, wool, cover less) especially when the weather is hot, and a barrier cream at every change once her skin clears up from this bout of rash. I also changed her more often and coconut oil helped (a thicker cream like Grandma Els at night though). I use a flat with a doubler and a fleece liner under wool for nighttime. No more pockets for her.

Last edited by McDMom; 07-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.
McDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbugsmomma View Post
She's usually in pockets, so yes, stay dry most of the time. The funny thing is, if she is in a pocket too long she'll get really red, but she is in fitteds with a pad folded flat all night long with no issues. But right now it's the spots I'm worried about, not redness. They look like boils.
Sounds like she could be allergic to the stay dry material. Do you have enough flats or are the inserts you stuff in the pockets natrual fibers? Try using flats or natural fiber inserts on top of the stay dry pockets for a few days and see if that helps... if sposies help maybe have a round of sposies to clean it up.

I swear by just using water for wipes and/or using Grapefruit Seed Extract in plain water (distilled water especially if you have town/city water) 10-20 drops per oz. Heals and keeps the rashes away.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Perhaps I am the lone voice of dissent here... but I think you need to get that checked out at the pediatrician. If it were due to fabric sensitivity or detergent (or maybe even more acidic urine) I would expect the rash to be more uniform. I'd be concerned if I saw spots like that pop up on my kid.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
erinofgod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is very sensitive to synthetic fibers. We still use them because we payed a lot for them and do not like them to go to waste, but have to change him more often when we use them. We mostly use organic cotton inserts and that seems to help. He gets pretty red and sometimes gets red spots if we go too long between changes if we are not using natural fibers. I have found that using a generous amount of corn starch aids in keeping him dry and really helps prevent rashes.
erinofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

I think it's reasonable to get your pediatricians input as well, but what about laying a disposable insert (like flip or charlie banana) into your pockets? They are generally a little cheaper than sposies.