Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
StrawberryWine
Registered Users

Cheap homemade snacks?

What does everybody do for snacks? My ds is already addicted to junk and I need to break him of it. So I need some ideas.

Advertisement

StrawberryWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Mommy2en7b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cheap homemade snacks?

Ooh, following bump!
Mommy2en7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

what do you consider healthy and cheap?I make a lot of granola bars and hard boiled eggs. Our kids love popcorn too,which is crazy cheap if you pop it yourself
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
StrawberryWine
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
what do you consider healthy and cheap?I make a lot of granola bars and hard boiled eggs. Our kids love popcorn too,which is crazy cheap if you pop it yourself
Lol well right now my sons favorite snacks are fruit snacks, hot dogs, cheese sticks... So anything better then those lol
StrawberryWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Agree that popcorn is really cheap, and you can make a bunch in an air popper then season it and store in a tupperware container.

http://www.popcorn.org/NutritionReci...7/Default.aspx

I like hummus and veggies for myself. Also just plain fruit is a great snack.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a lot of plain fruit for snacks. Both of my kids like olives, so we do those. One loves raw red peppers so she does those. Homemade granola bars. yogurt. homemade yogurt melts- which is just bite sized dobs of yogurt frozen. occasionally we'll by veggie straws or pretzels. A lot of the times if I have made muffins, pancakes or waffles for breakfast they will eat the left overs for snack- they request the leftovers. They love pumpkin and banana bread. They also love popcorn but I usually only do that as an after dinner snack. Because of food allergies I can't buy microwave popcorn and have to pop kernels- most of the time I am just too lazy for that unless everybody is going to be eating it.
ds also eats cheese for snacks when dd is in school- dd has a dairy intolerance so she can't eat cheese.

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-10-2013 at 04:57 AM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
We do a lot of plain fruit for snacks. Both of my kids like olives, so we do those. One loves raw red peppers so she does those. Homemade granola bars. yogurt. homemade yogurt melts- which is just bite sized dobs of yogurt frozen. occasionally we'll by veggie straws or pretzels. A lot of the times if I have made muffins, pancakes or waffles for breakfast they will eat the left overs for snack- they request the leftovers. They love pumpkin and banana bread. They also love popcorn but I usually only do that as an after dinner snack. Because of food allergies I can't buy microwave popcorn and have to pop kernels- most of the time I am just too lazy for that unless everybody is going to be eating it.
ds also eats cheese for snacks when dd is in school- dd has a dairy intolerance so she can't eat cheese.
Good ideas here! So you make the yogurt melts yourself?

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
saturn
Registered Users

Sorry this is sort of off-topic, but jbug_4, have you tried making "homemade" microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag? My husband does this sometimes, and it works great.
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...us-the-ripoff/
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
YarnCrazy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nice I will be following this for some more ideas myself!

We do the veggie straws occasionally and I have made a few granola bars too. I like popping the popcorn kernals even better than microwave popcorn cause I can make it the way I like it

Fresh fruit (sometimes I make a fruit salad from it or put veggies in fun shapes on a plate with things like peanut butter etc to make face or animal shapes) and I also mix cereals together to make a trail mix of sorts...

Hmm thats all I can think of for now

Last edited by YarnCrazy; 07-10-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot to write veggies description
YarnCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryWine View Post
Lol well right now my sons favorite snacks are fruit snacks, hot dogs, cheese sticks... So anything better then those lol
There is this amazing concept, if you, the parent, don't buy those things, your son can't eat them.

Sometimes bad food choices are as simple as never buying those foods again on a regular basis. Enjoy them, sure! But infrequently.

Fresh fruit, cheese sticks, yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies, chips and whole beans to scoop, etc are snacks in our home.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote