Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cheap homemade snacks?

Yogurt, popcorn (I pop on the stove then cool and store in Ziploc they keep fresh for a few days), carrots, celery, cauliflower and dip, cut up apples, banana's, frozen blueberries in milk, mini muffins, dried apples, raisens and dried cranberries. I found the other day they love leftover wheat waffles toasted with peanut butter on them and bananas, cherrios For not healthy it is always hands down the blasted goldfish (but I am guilty of eating them as well..so I am buying less and less).

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Good ideas here! So you make the yogurt melts yourself?
Yes. I line a baking sheet with wax paper, then drop quarter sized blobs of yogurt onto the wax paper. Freeze until solid and then store in a baggie. You can only dish out a few at a time and definitely at the table because they melt really quickly. The kids love them.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most of our snacks are fresh fruits & veggies, cheeses, & Greek yogurt. I've found that my kids eat a lot more fruits&veggies when I keep them cut up & berries are always popular.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
if you, the parent, don't buy those things, your son can't eat them.
Definitely that ^

I keep all the kid snacks simple. I don't do snacks often. Usually one snack other than the 3 meals. Except for fresh veggies. That's an anytime you want it snack. As much fresh veggies as they'll eat.

What veggies they won't eat is cooked until soft and blended into what they will eat, either smoothies or sauces (spaghetti sauce hides everything!!).

I try to limit fruit as a snack by itself, because if I don't that's all they eat, and while it's natural sugar, it's still quick digesting sugar. I always pair it with protein.

Some ideas:
Ants on a log, celery peanut butter raisins.

Tortilla spread with nut butter and filled with fresh or frozen fruit, roll it up and either eat like wrap or slice like sushi.

I pop popcorn in a lidded pot with 1/2 bacon grease 1/2 coconut oil. Top with salt and nutritional yeast (not brewers yeast). It tastes like cheesy popcorn.

DIY lunchables. Cut cheese slices, little ham squares and serve with crackers.

Meatballs are easy to make and freeze well. I always make doubles. They love them in "maple ketchup sauce" which is actually barbecue sauce. Making up tasty names for stuff often makes it more edible.

Hotdogs I don't think are junk food, so long as they're actually meat and not mostly soy protein HFCS and other non meat stuff.

Plain whole milk yogurt with frozen berries and a dab of honey.

Smoothies: Peel your extra browning bananas and freeze them. They sweeten smoothies really nicely.
Frozen blueberries, frozen banana, frozen pineapple, spinach, whole milk yogurt a whole orange or two and enough water to blend it smooth. The blueberries cover the green of spinach, but you can change the rest up for different flavors.
Strawberry, avocado, kiwi, banana, orange, water.
Lots of frozen bananas and whole peeled oranges with a little whole milk yogurt and whole milk. Orange Julius flavor

I serve meals the same as what I make for adults. But tiny portions. Like two bites worth, especially new stuff. If you eat everything you can have seconds of anything.
And I don't negotiate with food terrorists. Eat what's served or it's saved for the next meal. Some foods have to be tried dozens of times before they get used to them.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
dd has a dairy intolerance so she can't eat cheese.
have you tried sheeps or goats cheese? often doesn't affect those who react with cow dairy.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Soak a bag or two of beans overnight and cook all day. Drain and freeze on a baking sheet. Scoop out whats needed and they quickly thaw. Sprinkle some salt on them and serve cold, or heat in butter.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids like dried fruit (or even better freeze dried but we don't buy those often), cheese but Tharen can't have it, apples, bananas, nuts, seeds, peanut butter (Tharen will eat it with a spoon), and of course popcorn if I make it (we use the air popper and top with a bit of olive oil and nutritional yeast since Tharen and I can't have dairy). My oldest also love hard boiled eggs and both love it if I make home made snack bars which are really just nuts, dates and a bit of cocoa powder.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
leyash
Registered Users
seller

didn't read all of the posts, so sorry if this is repeated.

homemade applesauce
tortilla roll ups (with peanut butter & banana, etc.)
peanut butter with ritz crackers
homemade goldfish crackers
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #19
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post
have you tried sheeps or goats cheese? often doesn't affect those who react with cow dairy.
No. At this point she doesn't care. She has been dairy free for 5 years. We have tried making cheese sauces and stuff for noodles and she would rather just have them plain because that is what she is use to. Its not a big deal, she's happy with what she can eat.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
YarnCrazy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow this has been an awesome wealth of suggestions I am loving it. I made me a little Word Doc to save all the ideas and will be coming back to check for more! Thanks everyone!!
YarnCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote