Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

Early GTT After Previous GD?

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have had the experience of having gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy and then being asked to take the glucose tolerance test early. I had what I would consider a mild case of GD with my first pregnancy (barely failed both the 1 and 3-hour tests, managed with diet, no complications, baby born 10 days past EDD at just over 7 lbs). I do have some family history of Type II diabetes, and I have PCOS, so with my personal history I know there is some insulin resistance, however, I did follow-up testing with my endocrinologist after DS1 was born and I am not diabetic.

Anyhoo, I am now 19 weeks with DS2, and two of my midwives have encouraged me to test early. They haven't told me that I HAVE to do it, but they have encouraged it. I'm not sure whether I should. I find the testing and monitoring very stressful, and obviously I'd rather get the diagnosis later for my sanity, but if there really might be a problem, earlier is better.

WWYD?

Advertisement

litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Early GTT After Previous GD?

I think it must vary from country to country. I had my DD in NY state and had GD (diet controlled, etc). Was told if i got pregnant again i'd have to test early, then at the regular time, etc.

While, fast forward 4 years and i'm pregnant in Canada and my doctor wouldn't order the GTT early. She insisted it wasn't necessary and wasn't supported in the literature. I waited until the 26 week mark (i think , can't remember) and did the 2 hour test (that is what they offer here, no 1 and no 3 hour). I passed. I was close to the cut off, but under, so have a no GD diagnosis.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your response. I have read that there is some controversy over the GD diagnosis in general (and whether GD is a real thing/causes real harm). That combined with my previous much ado about nothing experience makes me feel it's not worth it to subject myself to an early test. My midwife basically told me the idea was to detect if I might actually have type II, but I passed a post-partum 3-hour test (with 6 freakin blood draws!) about a year ago. So I guess it's hard for me to convince myself it's worth the extra/early stress!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigatrix View Post
Thanks for your response. I have read that there is some controversy over the GD diagnosis in general (and whether GD is a real thing/causes real harm). That combined with my previous much ado about nothing experience makes me feel it's not worth it to subject myself to an early test. My midwife basically told me the idea was to detect if I might actually have type II, but I passed a post-partum 3-hour test (with 6 freakin blood draws!) about a year ago. So I guess it's hard for me to convince myself it's worth the extra/early stress!
Have you only had the 1 test AFTER your last baby was born?

Are you supposed to go every year or every 2 years for testing?

I did 1, 11 months after DD was born, was fine (in fact, my fasting was BELOW normal) and then i've done another one and was fine again (1 in NY, 1 in Canada) and then the 2 hour GTT this pregnancy (and was fine on that).
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2beamom View Post
Have you only had the 1 test AFTER your last baby was born?

Are you supposed to go every year or every 2 years for testing?

I did 1, 11 months after DD was born, was fine (in fact, my fasting was BELOW normal) and then i've done another one and was fine again (1 in NY, 1 in Canada) and then the 2 hour GTT this pregnancy (and was fine on that).
Yes, I've just had the 1 3-hour GTT post-partum, which was about 5 months after DS, and a little more than a year ago. I do plan to take the 1-hour GTT with this baby at the standard time, and then the 3-hour if indicated, the question is just whether I need to also take an early test now. Even if I pass the 1-hour this week, they would make me take it again at the standard time (around 28 weeks).

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had it with my last 2 boys and had a very early test with the m/c (7wks) and with this one (11wks). Had to do the 3hr this time but that was good. Still have to do it at the normal 26-28 weeks.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
miriamleigh
Registered Users

I took it at 12 weeks this time. I am technically prediabetic anyway, so I will obviously have GD. Oddly enough I passed. I'm still scratching my head over that....maybe early pregnancy lowers your blood sugar?
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had it with DS. With this baby, i did the 1 hr at 10 weeks and failed by about 30 points. Did the 3 hr at 12 weeks and passed, but not by much. have to re-take the 3 hr at 24 weeks... both Dr and I are fully expecting me to fail ...

Should I ask to be tested post pardum? they never did that for me before... but i would like to know if i will have it forever... becasue i know it makes you more likely to get it, plus i have a family history
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in my fourth GD pregnancy. With my second, I pulled out my glucometer at 12 weeks, drank a big glass of orange juice and had a bagel, and took my one, two and three hour readings. Yup, definitely diabetic again. With the third and fourth, I just immediately assumed I had it and got back in the testing/diet routine at 10 weeks when the placenta was up and going enough to begin creating issues. If I had a splurge meal, one test of the glucometer quickly confirmed my diabetic status. With each one, my OB would have asked for testing by 16 weeks had I not already confirmed my insultin-resistence myself since the odds of not having GD in subsequent pregnancies is very low. There are real risks of GD beyond a larger baby size that warrant diagnosis and treatment as early as possible. I have yet to understand why people delay testing and treatment when its the very best thing you can do for yourself and your baby.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yeah I agree they weren't planning to teat me until close to 24 weeks and I demanded the 10 week and once they saw I failed were quick to schedule a 12 week one. I'm seriously shocked I passed. But I'm monitoring it myself to be safe